Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

1 members and 2,842 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

please help, my dumeril wont eat!!

ok so I got a dumerils boa about a month ago, born 2014. after having her a month she still will not eat.
    ive tried F/T as well as live mice. I don't know what to do to get her to eat!! I was told temps f 75L-85H would
    be good so that is what ive been doing. i recently tried raising the temps a bit but still no good. im sure the
    temps are good for her because she uses the hides on both sides of the cage, and doesnt just stick to one side.
    the warmer temps still wont get her to eat. i have seen her drinking water several times, she also just finished a
    shed. im getting real worried about her!

Thanks
    Has she lost any weight or does she look visibly thinner? If no, then just wait and offer next week.
    "The best darn derpy ninja there ever was."
    -Sir Hognose 2014

Thanks

Re: please help, my dumeril wont eat!!

Dumerils are very shy snakes. It's not uncommon to see them not eat after going to a new home. Make sure the sides of her enclosure are blacked out or not in a room with a lot of movement. Do not handle until it eats and make sure they have two tight fitting hides not half logs or anything open.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Thanks

It doesn’t look like she has lost any weight yet. Although I haven’t actually weighed her. It’s a wooden cage so all the sides are blocked other than the front. I will try covering up the front as well soon. I haven’t handled her once since I’ve gotten her. I’m going to try again tomorrow with a live rat and see if she will eat. How long should I leave the live rat with her? I’m not too worried about her getting hurt from the rat since it’s just going to be a little one. I’m hoping she just needs a little more time to get used to her new home.

Thanks

Also I forgot to mention, there are three hides in the cage and until very recently she has been choosing the smaller ones. Now though she is choosing the one that’s a little bigger. The smaller hides aren’t real tight/close fitting hides but I haven’t found anything smaller yet.

Last edited by tonyjklh; 11-18-2014 at 01:13 AM.