Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

3 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Exclamation help!!! something on his mouth

i just brought him home last friday. yesterday was the first time i took him out and it was for 5 minutes. today i took him out and noticed he kept opening his mouth, so i looked and this is what i saw! i'm so scared and i feel awful for not knowing what happened! when i took him out yesterday i noticed his nose was dark like that but i thought he might have been pushing his substrate around (coconut fiber). i know i would have noticed him opening his mouth yesterday, so this has to be new. i was also hearing tiny bubble-popping sounds sometimes when he was sniffing/breathing, not all the time, but i've never had a snake so i don't know what is normal breathing for them and what isn't. he also has teeny-tiny dots on his scales down his body (the pictures are the only spots i saw) as well as a teeeeeeny-tiny dot on the roof of his mouth above the bottom where the scab-thing is. when i was handling him today he seemed okay, curious and cruising around except for his mouth. when i set him back in his tank he took the chance to explore which he hasn't done yet (at least from what i've seen), then went into his warm hide. any advice or thoughts? i need something reassuring because i feel terrible. ): i'm also supposed to feed him tonight, should i even try?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Is it not the eco earth?

One reason I like to mix substrates is the eco earth can be dusty and get in their pits and nostrils. If you put the snake in a bath they will usually swim and blow air out of their nose which clears out the eco earth.

I mix cypress, eco, and repti bark and like it very much.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: help!!! something on his mouth

it is zoomed eco earth, but i was doing a lot of tank work (removing substrate to place repticarpet underneath, taking some substrate out) before he came home so the coconut fiber that's in there is probably pretty thin and dusty.

Thanks
    Right, I meant is the spots and the stuff on the snakes mouth eco earth?
    Have you tried to rub/wipe it off? A damp qtip could be used to clean the snakes mouth.
    Last edited by KMG; 11-11-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    KMG

Thanks

no! that's why i'm worried! i tried to clean it off with the small time-frame he allowed me to grab him and it was like a scab or something. i couldn't clean it off. same with the tiny spots on his body, they were on his scales that i couldn't remove. i have no idea what happened or what i did and i'm so worried.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    no! that's why i'm worried! i tried to clean it off with the small time-frame he allowed me to grab him and it was like a scab or something. i couldn't clean it off. same with the tiny spots on his body, they were on his scales that i couldn't remove. i have no idea what happened or what i did and i'm so worried.
    i haven't tried a wet q-tip, would it be okay if i took him out again to try? i don't want to stress him out, though he seemed fine while being handled earlier.

Thanks
    If you are sure its a scab removing it is probable not the best thing to do. If you think it could just be dried substrate I would give it a try.

Feeding tomorrow will probably be best if you handle it to get a better idea of what it is.
    KMG

Thanks

just tried a q-tip and it's definitely not coming off. it's like a burn? the only thing i could think of is he maybe found the probe and tried to bite it, but it was hot? could the probe even get that hot if my temps are right? i did have a temperature spike today from a space heater that was left on. could something have gotten too hot that he touched? i feel terrible. do you think he needs to visit the vet?

Thanks
    If you are talking about a probe to a tstat is should NOT be inside the tank. It needs to be moved ASAP.

Do you have a heat lamp sitting on top of the cage? If so its possible it touched the screen that's hot from the bulb or che. This is just one of the many reason I suggest using lamp stands.

As for the probe being hot or being bitten, that would not happen and would not be the cause of this.
    KMG

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (11-11-2014)

Thanks

i do not have a lamp. where am i supposed to move the probe to while still knowing my temps?

Thanks
    Between the uth and the tank. You may also want to try and handle him over some white paper towels to see if any of those black dots fall off and if they are mites...
    Last edited by Viol8r; 11-11-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast