Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

4 members and 3,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

New BP Owner... Can I wash her?

I got a BP from a friend of mine about a week ago. He said she is about 5 years old and has been handled her whole life. She is very friendly and loves being handled. The other day I put her into the feeder tank and fed her a thawed frozen rat. Then as instructed by the previous owner left her in it over night. During the night she had pooped and got it all over the tank and assuming herself. I wiped her the best i could but by then most was dried. I figured once I put her in her normal tank shed just clean herself in the water bowl or something. Well she still feels kind of sticky and rough unlike the smooth cool feel she had before. I was wondering if there is a way I can wash her down or if she would get mad and try biting me? Any advice would be great
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You wont know if she will not like a bath and tag you until you try. I doubt she will though. Just let her soak a bit in water that goes about 3/4 up her body. I let mine swim around and rub her by hand to make sure she gets completely rinsed off. Then pull her out and let her crawl through a towel to finish cleaning her and dry her off. Then replace her in her tank.

Snakes really do not clean themselves and letting a dirty snake stay dirty and get in and out of its water source is not a good idea. I would clean everything you have in the tank so you don't get any harmful things growing in your tank.

Use the search function and check out how feeding in another tank is not necessary, especially with f/t. A snake is much more at home in its home so taking it out of its home to feed can add un-needed stress. Plus moving a snake while it is preparing to feed is a good way to get tagged by mistake. Do the research and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by KMG; 11-09-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    I will definately look into that. Good to know that I may not need to move her all the time. Also I did clean the other tank and what not after I removed her but I wasn't sure about her. I will give it a try with bathing her and see how things go. Thank you for the advice. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I use my tub and if you do the same do not leave her alone. It may appear as if the snake can not make it out but I assure you that it can.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    I put mine in the bathtub too and let them swim around and get exercise. If they have a mess on them I rub a drop of baby soap into my hands then rub the belly of the snake down then rinse. I do not get near the head/face of the snake though. They come out smelling great and some seem to have fun in the water, while others just want out.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets