Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,273

2 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Picked up my first ball python today!

So I found a baby ball python on Craigslist that was a very reasonable offer. He came with his whole tank and "everything he needs..." Surprise, it's not a super great setup for a ball python. No UTH (I believe he was only using an overhead heat light,) no thermostat, no thermometer or humidity cage, open screen top. So, in a few minutes here I am on my way to the pet store to pick up what he needs. I do think he's a tad underweight, he's being fed large mice, as he has the more triangle shape to his body. And I was pretty upset when the guy texted me today before meeting "I am feeding him now, he'll be good for a week" - don't feed him and then transport him! All in all he's looking great, considering. A bit of stuck shed I am hoping the uped temp and humidity fix.

I won't lie - now, I've had snakes before (long time ago) and I've been bitten plenty, and I KNOW it doesn't hurt. The suddenness of a strike is the most surprising part. But it's been so long when I scooped him from his deli cup for a quick pic before putting him in his cage I was shaking like a leaf! He coiled his head back in the strike "S" and raised it up a bit, he was not a happy camper, and I put my hand in the tank to let him climb down. He stayed coiled up like that for a good few minutes. Decided I was not worth biting and slithered off to get a drink and go hide.

Here are some pics. Forgive the tank, I know it's not a good setup, I am off right now to get the right stuff. Shoulda had it on hand, but the pet store is a quick jaunt away, he'll be good to go in no time. As one small question.. what size rat do you think he should get? I am having a hard time judging by pics of the rat sizes. I guess as a second question, do you think it'd be best to - aside from adding the heating pad and thermostat - wait to change anything inside the cage till he settles down for a day or so? Let him destress and digest?

^^^ NOT a happy camper!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-10-2014)

Thanks

Re: Picked up my first ball python today!

Hello here's my take on this, get the UTH and a thermostat its very Important because these UTH get a little to hot and can burn your Baby and I would leave his habitat alone other than cleaning of course. I think that will help until he gets to know you he looks to be a nice baby congrats. Also this Forum has alot of Information you should read great info from Veteran Members.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Last edited by Lady mkrj58; 11-10-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    Lady Mkrj58

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady mkrj58 For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (11-10-2014)