Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,900

0 members and 1,900 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660
    Thanks

Lots of questions!

Okay so I've recently learned the hard lesson of glass tanks sucking at maintaining humidity and temps.

Gave up on that and ordered a RhinoRAXXX from Boaphile Plastics. I'm sure you all know of the long wait times.

So, in the mean time I've got to figure some things out.

I had no idea you had to use a thermostat for under tank heaters (thank you reptile "expert" at the pet store ) Luckily, before I even plugged them in, I did my own research and read about the dangers of using any UTH without a thermostat. My VE thermostat will be here in a few days and am wondering a few things.

1. Will my snakes become ill from not having belly heat for a few days if I use a heat light in the mean time?

2. Should I just plug in the UTH (zoomed brand) and put like 4-5 inches of cypress mulch ontop to try to make it less hot?

And as for the humidity...

I use cypress mulch, and have sphagnum moss throughout. I also mist 3 times a day and still can't get it to stay where I need it.

Today I bought some Eco Earth and a small one room humidifier to see if that will help. After this, I can't seem to think of any other things to try.

I've been reading about wrapping the screen tops in everything from plastic to aluminum, but with my UTH not plugged in, I'm afraid to run a heat lamp ontop of plastic or foil.

Any words of wisdom, tricks and tips, or just advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Lots of questions!

Quote Originally Posted by littlemisskat View Post
    1. Will my snakes become ill from not having belly heat for a few days if I use a heat light in the mean time?

No. Many keepers use only ambient temps and their collections thrive just fine.

2. Should I just plug in the UTH (zoomed brand) and put like 4-5 inches of cypress mulch ontop to try to make it less hot?

No. The uth can not push heat through 4-5 inches of substrate. The proper depth of substrate is about 1/4 inch. If your snake is seeking heat it can burrow and find the uth. A uth covered in 4-5 inches of mulch will be insulated and the temp will be way to hot and put your snake in serious risk.

And as for the humidity...

I use cypress mulch, and have sphagnum moss throughout. I also mist 3 times a day and still can't get it to stay where I need it.

Your humidity does not need to stay high at all times. My ball is in a glass tank and the humidity stays in the 30's. I combat this by placing moist moss in the hides. This creates a humid hide that the snake benefits from directly since that is where it stays most of the time.

Today I bought some Eco Earth and a small one room humidifier to see if that will help. After this, I can't seem to think of any other things to try.

I use a mix of cypress mulch, eco earth, and repti bark. Mainly I do this because I like the look as I keep naturalistic tanks. It is good for helping humidity though.

I've been reading about wrapping the screen tops in everything from plastic to aluminum, but with my UTH not plugged in, I'm afraid to run a heat lamp ontop of plastic or foil.

I have a cardboard cutout on top of my screen. I wrapped mine in foil and cut out a window for the heat lamp and che heat to pass through the screen and warm the tank. I also recommend using lamp stands. They are about $20 at the big box pet stores. This allows you to suspend the lamp or che above the screen which keeps the hot bulb or element from touching anything, which is much safer. This also keeps you from moving the heat sources around which will prolong the life of the heat source and the heat is continually pumped into the tank instead of being removed while getting into the tank and having to remove the heat source from the tank. I have a che that has been working 24/7 for almost three years now.
    Last edited by KMG; 11-04-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Jessimica (11-04-2014),littlemisskat (11-04-2014)

Thanks

Re: Lots of questions!

I use the Tropic Aire Humidifier and Air Exchanger, and it puts out enough humidity to offset my ceramic heat lamp if I put some aluminum foil on the left and right thirds of the screen. If you don't plan on using a heat lamp, this may create too much humidity for you.

http://www.reptiledirect.com/tropica...gernopump.aspx

Thanks
    I use ambient temps (82-83 day 77-78 night) and a humidifier (on low).
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Viol8r For This Useful Post:

littlemisskat (11-04-2014)