Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

1 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a fan

Thanks

Re: Not a fan

Quote Originally Posted by mandalorian View Post
    that's exactly how i felt so I added 2 little hoggies to my bp collection. Funny little buggahz.....
    I hope to one day add them to my collection.(:
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masonic View Post
    I want something that is maybe going to be the same length or a little longer that a ball and is easy to handle. I want something that is going to pop when it is in the enclosure. I mainly want something that you don't always see.
    A California High-White King with dark cage decor will pop.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I've got a few CA kingsnakes and Nelson's milk snakes, along with my BPs and rosy boas. I love them. I want to add honduran milk snakes to the collection, and I'm eyeing some garter snakes and indigo or massurana. For me, I love that they are something different. They are beautiful. The kingsnakes and milk snakes come on all kinds of different and amazing colors, but their price point tends to run lower than some BP morphs too. They don't get too big, but big enough. They eat like pigs, never refuse a meal. They have their own attitudes without being outright aggressive. They move a lot more, more fun to watch and handle. And they are easy to house, I don't need to offer any supplemental heat (except in winter, if i don't want to let them brumate ),because the ambient temperatures where I live are suitable for those snakes. Considering this, I would say check them out, see if it's something you want to try.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-03-2014),Gio (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sorraia View Post
    I've got a few CA kingsnakes and Nelson's milk snakes, along with my BPs and rosy boas. I love them. I want to add honduran milk snakes to the collection, and I'm eyeing some garter snakes and indigo or massurana. For me, I love that they are something different. They are beautiful. The kingsnakes and milk snakes come on all kinds of different and amazing colors, but their price point tends to run lower than some BP morphs too. They don't get too big, but big enough. They eat like pigs, never refuse a meal. They have their own attitudes without being outright aggressive. They move a lot more, more fun to watch and handle. And they are easy to house, I don't need to offer any supplemental heat (except in winter, if i don't want to let them brumate ),because the ambient temperatures where I live are suitable for those snakes. Considering this, I would say check them out, see if it's something you want to try.
    Great points on a lot of the native, North American species. Husbandry can often just be change of seasons.

Mussurana Clelia are amazing! Mild venom, not dangerous to humans, and a constrictor to boot.

Big, thick and will eat anything, even large venomous snakes.

Colubrids are just another great option for diversity in a collection.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

sorraia (11-03-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I want to thank you all you have gave me some things to look at and then make the decision.

Thanks

I'm with you, I am just not interested in almost all colubrids; except Hognoses, I like their patterns and their heads. I can't stand Corns, that ugly orange and red color combo is hideous to me, and their head shape is ugly. Sorry, being an artistic person, I notice things like shapes, colors and patterns. I don't understand why anyone would want to keep a Garter as a pet, that's about the only snake we see here in my area in the wild and I couldn't be more bored with them, and they stink. I don't mean to offend anyone, to each their own, these are just my opinions, but I'm a python and boa guy all the way.

Thanks
    I guess I'm the opposite. I find ball pythons soo boring and too picky. I love to look at pictures but I don't see myself owning one. I do love my boa though.

I adore corn snakes. They come in such a huge variety of morphs, from pink to solid white to all sorts of patterns. I have a snow corn and an extreme okeetee. I hope to add a sunkissed anery motley as well. I also have a black milk snake. Milksnakes can be obnoxious due to being so jumpy and they can musk, but the colors are incredible.

Lastly kingsnakes are just fun. I think they have a cool head shape (also an artist) and I love their feeding response. Serious garbage disposals.

Hognoses are cute but really too small for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Colubridae is flipping huge, if you can't find a flavor you favor in that pile of mess you haven't looked very hard.

If you're looking for visually stunning creatures here are a few you might want to further research. I've added a couple thamnophis because they never get much love even though they're beautiful snakes.

Oreocryptophis porphyraceus

Euprepiophis mandarinus

Rhynchophis boulengeri

Thamnophis infernalis

Thamnophis sirtalis pickeringii

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

sorraia (11-06-2014)

Thanks

my vote goes the the hognose too. i think they have more character than just about anything meaning even a normal is fun but if you want colour you can get some lovely morphs now. Also you will never have that 'my snake isn't eating' worry. They are like vacuum cleaners.

Thanks
    Just a warning... Not all hognoses are vacuums... My male goes off food for months at a time (not necessarily when it's cold either). You might have more luck with a female, but be wary.. I've heard many people complain about hoggies not eating well. This is not to contradict you guys, but I wanted to note it. I love my hog, but am considering rehoming due to this issue.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast