Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

1 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Exclamation Rough dull scales, what is this?

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about Shesha. I have noticed that in one area he has some scales that look like the shiny outer coating is gone. They look rough and have no gloss to them. Now I had originally attributed it to the fact that he tore his shed at just about that exact same area, as the problem was first noticed after he shed. He somehow managed to rip the old skin about 2/3 down his body and the entire last 1/3 was still on. I did have to assist him on that shed, but I had originally thought that perhaps the amount of tugging it took to tear it could have ripped some of the new scales off with it. There are no other scale issues, just this one damaged area, but given that fungal and bacterial infections are a thing I felt that it would be wise to run it past everyone here. Hopefully someone has seen this or something similar before and can give me some insight into what may be going on. The area does not appear to be spreading or changing in size. I should also mention that he does have a habit of pushing his back against the entrance to his hide and he enters it. It is like as he is slithering in he arches he back to scrape it along the top of the entrance. He usually pushes this same area of his body against the hide, probably just because it is the area he has the most muscular control and leverage in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Rough dull scales, what is this?

Hi,

It's pretty common - the top layer of the new scales have stuck to, and removed with, the last shed.

The next time he is due for a shed maybe bump the humidity up a little.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.