Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: Detached scale?

Thanks

Detached scale?

Atticus seems to have a slightly detached scale near his vent. Should I be concerned about this? In the picture, it's right under the black triangle of scales.

Thanks
    This is a body part of male snakes, I don't remember what its called but I watched a video where they guy said "Its used to hold the female while mating" It wasn't a very good video and the guy sounded kinda sketchy. So I don't know if its true, but its on my snake as well. There should also be another on the other side of the snake.
    Im just throwing around my opinions. Im trying to give as much help as I've received on this website

1.0 Ball Python
    2.0 Red Clawed Scorpion

(1.0 means Male right?)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to auhsojnacnud For This Useful Post:

Shamri (10-26-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

Re: Detached scale?

I think male and females have them

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Thanks

Exactly, this is called a vestigial spur. They have one on either side and they can occasionally be seen protruding slightly, but it is nothing to worry about. It is correct that they are used in mating, but interestingly enough many scientists believe that these are actually what is left of rear limbs. It is a controversial subject, so take any of this with a grain of salt, but according to evolutionary biology somewhere along the timeline certain lizardlike species underwent a shift in their skeletal blueprint. This resulted in a loss of the front limbs (as what would have been a collar bone area shifted past the neck and was lost entirely) and the rear limbs were not lost entirely but reduced dramatically over time. One reason scientists label pythons as a primitive species of snake is the fact that in pythons you can still find a pelvic bone, a feature more modern snakes lack. They still have the pelvic area and femur, with these spurs attached, which scientists believe indicates that they are closer genetically to their evolutionary ancestors than most. They also still have two lungs as opposed to only one. Here are some interesting pics I found in an image search illustrating the skeletal structure, and a photo that looks very much like the one you shared. They really are fascinating little critters!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kiiarah For This Useful Post:

JustinAskin (10-27-2014),Kamerick (10-27-2014),salt (10-27-2014),Shamri (10-26-2014)

Thanks

A reassuring answer and a lesson in evolution. Both are much appreciated, thanks!

Thanks

Love learning that info! Thanks!

Molly & Steve
    0.1 Normal BP. PRECIOUCESS
    0.1 Normal Columbian BCI. LUNA

Thanks

Seems like every day I learn something new and fascinating about these guys. I just love learning about all their adaptations. For such a simple looking animal, they are remarkably complex and capable. ^_^ The most recent interesting fact that I came across is that they can hear and smell in stereo, due to the forked tongue and their jaw being comprised of two separate parts. Apparently they now believe that snakes use their jaw bones in conjunction with their inner ear in order to sense sound waves in much the same way a ship would tranlslate waves of water. This is one reason they so often rest and slither with their jaw in contact with the ground. They still believe they are deaf to airborne sound (the vibration doesn't carry well) but their ability to sense transmission of vibration through the ground is extremely good.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.