Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

3 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boa help!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Boa help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snakelover9 View Post
    if you can send me a email for you out of here in om or explaim to me how to attach without a Url i can do it i prefer email i bumped the temp up to 33 27 hopefully that gets warm side an cold side ok
    Post the picture here and you'll get more help.

Your boa will do well with some very simple husbandry fixes.

As stated a young boa will need some decent ambient temps. 80-83F. I'd make sure you are 90-93 for your warm side. All of these temps can be adjusted, and some snakes do better a little cooler and some a bit warmer. There is a margin and you can safely experiment.

I do use a night drop, but I didn't when he was very young.

The book Artgecko recommended is as good as it gets. Also anything on the web written by Gus Rentfro is excellent. He is friends with the author of that book.

Pictures and additional information about your setup will only get you more responses.

Nobody will think less of you if you are doing a few things wrong, or need a little help.

Thanks
    The easiest way to post pics is to save them to a site like photobucket. After you save them to that site, it will give you an image code (img) in the form of a link. You then post the link it gives you straight into the text of your post and it will show up as a picture.

I am not quite sure how your light fixture / thermostat setup works if it gives you a range of temperatures. Does the thermostat turn the light on / off when it gets too cool / hot? Or does it dim the light when it gets too hot? Are any of these your thermostat?

If you can get a red bulb or CHE for the lamp, you can run it all day/night without creating light the boa can see... so you could keep the temps warm at night also.

Honestly, I think the best possible setup for a boa is to have a UTH hooked up to a thermostat (so that there is warm belly heat to help digest food better) and then also have a light / CHE if needed to raise air temps... You might want to look into getting a UTH to hook up to your current thermostat and then buy a dimmer for your light, change out the bulb for a CHE / red bulb, and play with the dimmer switch until it gives you the right temperatures.

I would suggest a separate thermometer (a thermometer reads temps, but does not control them like a thermostat) so that you can monitor temperatures.

This is a thread that shows how to setup a glass tank for a ball python. i know you have a boa, but how you setup the thermometers, thermostat probe, UTH, lamp, etc. will be the same.

With hides, most snakes prefer ones that are dark, secure, and fit them securely (don't have a lot of extra space or large openings). Usually, you want a hide on the cool and warm sides of the tank (see the BP setup thread link I posted). I use black plastic hides like the ones in the thread above and got mine from here. If your boa is 3 feet long, you would need a "medium" or possibly a "large" sized one. I have also seen people make hides out of correctly sized cardboard boxes, used plastic food tubs, and even dog bowls.

Here's a pic of my BCA 3.5 foot male jax's in tub. It is a similar setup, just in a plastic tub, not a tank. The heat lamp is centered above on a stand (the black lump on the cord is a built in dimmer I adjust), the UTH is under the left side of the tub (you can see the foil tape holding it down)

And just for kicks, a pic of Jax. He was closer to 3 feet in this photo.
    Last edited by artgecko; 10-16-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-16-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    The easiest way to post pics is to save them to a site like photobucket. After you save them to that site, it will give you an image code (img) in the form of a link. You then post the link it gives you straight into the text of your post and it will show up as a picture.

I am not quite sure how your light fixture / thermostat setup works if it gives you a range of temperatures. Does the thermostat turn the light on / off when it gets too cool / hot? Or does it dim the light when it gets too hot? Are any of these your thermostat?

If you can get a red bulb or CHE for the lamp, you can run it all day/night without creating light the boa can see... so you could keep the temps warm at night also.

Honestly, I think the best possible setup for a boa is to have a UTH hooked up to a thermostat (so that there is warm belly heat to help digest food better) and then also have a light / CHE if needed to raise air temps... You might want to look into getting a UTH to hook up to your current thermostat and then buy a dimmer for your light, change out the bulb for a CHE / red bulb, and play with the dimmer switch until it gives you the right temperatures.

I would suggest a separate thermometer (a thermometer reads temps, but does not control them like a thermostat) so that you can monitor temperatures.

This is a thread that shows how to setup a glass tank for a ball python. i know you have a boa, but how you setup the thermometers, thermostat probe, UTH, lamp, etc. will be the same.

With hides, most snakes prefer ones that are dark, secure, and fit them securely (don't have a lot of extra space or large openings). Usually, you want a hide on the cool and warm sides of the tank (see the BP setup thread link I posted). I use black plastic hides like the ones in the thread above and got mine from here. If your boa is 3 feet long, you would need a "medium" or possibly a "large" sized one. I have also seen people make hides out of correctly sized cardboard boxes, used plastic food tubs, and even dog bowls.

Here's a pic of my BCA 3.5 foot male jax's in tub. It is a similar setup, just in a plastic tub, not a tank. The heat lamp is centered above on a stand (the black lump on the cord is a built in dimmer I adjust), the UTH is under the left side of the tub (you can see the foil tape holding it down)
    hey thanks for all your help and being awkward i will try pics later as its getting late i have the dimming thermostat by haibistat on your link thats 90$ and it asks for a daytime and night temp for the light so the light comes on at 8am gets to temp and still runs with less power so it does not go to much over the setup has a thermometer that says it was at 27C warm side today so i might try raise the thermostat up to 33 for the morning and 27 or 26 C at night minimum i can try photos later

- - - Updated - - -

hey thanks for all your help and being awkward i will try pics later as its getting late i have the dimming thermostat by haibistat on your link thats 90$ and it asks for a daytime and night temp for the light so the light comes on at 8am gets to temp and still runs with less power so it does not go to much over the setup has a thermometer that says it was at 27C warm side today so i might try raise the thermostat up to 33 for the morning and 27 or 26 C at night minimum i can try photos later

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Not to change the subject but holy balls that's a nice BCA! Is that from Tom McCarthy?

O/P, we'll get you squared away try the Photobucket route.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Not to change the subject but holy balls that's a nice BCA! Is that from Tom McCarthy?

O/P, we'll get you squared away try the Photobucket route.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg4_zps858cbaf4.jpg.html

[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg2_zpsc8725e08.jpg.html

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg6_zps4a0774d0.jpg.html

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)] http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/sn...cf014.jpg.html
    Am of to bed plz say that works guys i tryed quickly
    [/COLOR]

- - - Updated - - -

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg4_zps858cbaf4.jpg.html[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg2_zpsc8725e08.jpg.html[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg6_zps4a0774d0.jpg.html[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)] http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg5_zpsacfcf014.jpg.html[/COLOR]

Thanks
    I found the link in your text.... I'm not sure what went wrong, but I'll repost your pics below. When you try to post the IMG code, left click it (if you're on a computer) and it'll copy automatically, then "paste" it straight into the post (no "link"s or anything required) and it should come through.

It's a nice looking setup. I can see the thermometer on the top right (I think) and a thermostat that is attached to the top left of the tank. Is the heat bulb inside the glass tank (behind the wooden lid I assume)? You would probably still be able to attach a UTH to the bottom of the glass tank (like in the link I posted).

To Gio- Yes, he is from Tom McCarthy. I think Tom is raising up some of this guy's siblings (*nicer siblings*) to breed down the road. This was the last male he had and I still can't believe that I was able to get him as my first boa. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I'll post a better, more recent, pic of Jax below.
    Last edited by artgecko; 10-17-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-17-2014)

Thanks

I found the link in your text.... I'm not sure what went wrong, but I'll repost your pics below. When you try to post the IMG code, left click it (if you're on a computer) and it'll copy automatically, then "paste" it straight into the post (no "link"s or anything required) and it should come through.

It's a nice looking setup. I can see the thermometer on the top right (I think) and a thermostat that is attached to the top left of the tank. Is the heat bulb inside the glass tank (behind the wooden lid I assume)? You would probably still be able to attach a UTH to the bottom of the glass tank (like in the link I posted).

To Gio- Yes, he is from Tom McCarthy. I think Tom is raising up some of this guy's siblings (*nicer siblings*) to breed down the road. This was the last male he had and I still can't believe that I was able to get him as my first boa. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I'll post a better, more recent, pic of Jax below.

hey man its no prob there the proof my thermostat says 27 warm an 21 cold shall i bump temp up a few i will happyly show u my hypo boa when i get time how long till i can handle him an how can i stop him hissing

Thanks

also ant hse a undertank heater as the tank is on wood itself an it burnt my cabinet last time :3 the bulb is in the glass tank and you can see it if you slide doors open its on a timer an runs 8am-8pm

Thanks
    If the bulb is on a timer, what is hooked up to the thermostat? Was the old under tank heater hooked up to a thermostat? It may have malfunctioned if it burnt your wooden stand... They should not run that hot, especially hooked up to a thermostat.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

If the bulb is on a timer, what is hooked up to the thermostat? Was the old under tank heater hooked up to a thermostat? It may have malfunctioned if it burnt your wooden stand... They should not run that hot, especially hooked up to a thermostat.
    it left a small butn mark on the wooden cabbinet you see in the pic but was on a thermostat when the snake before my boa tat sadly passed away this week was in a faunierium shall i bump the boa temps up to 35 c morning 33 at night if thats better when can i handle him and should i put him back if he hisses and bites amd do i need a snake hook i wanna be the best boa owner i can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast