Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

2 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boa help!!!!

Thanks
    I think bumping the temps up would be a good idea... That said, just monitor them closely to make sure that it doesn't raise higher than that.

If you just got your boa, he will need time to settle in (at least 2 weeks is the standard). For that time, only
    when necessary (i.e. go in the cage to clean, change water, etc. only).

I personally have a hook (you can see it in front of the tub in the pic of Jax's setup). You might want to get a hook, but you can use a coat hanger for some of the functions of a hook. I would start hook training him now, which should help avoid you getting bit due to food response and it can also help cage defensive behavior some too.

To "hook train" you teach the snake to associate being "stroked" with an inanimate object (like a hook, paper towel tube, coat hanger, etc.) with being picked up. You stroke him each time before you clean his water, move him, etc... any time your hands go in the tank when food isn't involved. With a hook, you can also gently lift him off the ground, which may help you get your hands under him and avoid getting bit. When you feed, you don't use the hook, so the snake learns hook= no food and goes out of "feeding mode".
    Here's a good video where the guy demonstrates hook training.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Boa help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I think bumping the temps up would be a good idea... That said, just monitor them closely to make sure that it doesn't raise higher than that.

If you just got your boa, he will need time to settle in (at least 2 weeks is the standard). For that time, only

I personally have a hook (you can see it in front of the tub in the pic of Jax's setup). You might want to get a hook, but you can use a coat hanger for some of the functions of a hook. I would start hook training him now, which should help avoid you getting bit due to food response and it can also help cage defensive behavior some too.

To "hook train" you teach the snake to associate being "stroked" with an inanimate object (like a hook, paper towel tube, coat hanger, etc.) with being picked up. You stroke him each time before you clean his water, move him, etc... any time your hands go in the tank when food isn't involved. With a hook, you can also gently lift him off the ground, which may help you get your hands under him and avoid getting bit. When you feed, you don't use the hook, so the snake learns hook= no food and goes out of "feeding mode".

Getting good advice here. I think you should work with this and see how things go.

Thanks

ok thank bumped it up to 35 max in day 30 at night as i noramly loose a few degress ks there anything else i need to know

Thanks
    Nothing I can thnk of... When you do start handling him, use a hook (see video I linked to), but also come from behind and once you get him out of the cage, come from below (predators come from above, so coming from below will help). Don't put him back if he hisses / strikes as he will learn that those behaviors = getting put back into his cage. Both of my boas like to explore when out and are quite docile... Once you're settles in he should also improve with frequent handling.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Nothing I can thnk of... When you do start handling him, use a hook (see video I linked to), but also come from behind and once you get him out of the cage, come from below (predators come from above, so coming from below will help). Don't put him back if he hisses / strikes as he will learn that those behaviors = getting put back into his cage. Both of my boas like to explore when out and are quite docile... Once you're settles in he should also improve with frequent handling.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

got him a ceremic bulb t get temps up an changed his substrate aswell to hold humidity he is a nice snake but cant id his morph was told he was a hypo but he is green and brown i tink with only a small bit of yellow an pink so i dunno any thoughts

Thanks
    Can you try taking a pic and posting to photobucket of him? I don't know many boas thta have green in their coloration. If he was sold to you as a "common boa" or "redtail" he is probably a Colombian bci.

If he is a hypo, he will be a colombian bci morph. This site lists several morphs with pics and descriptions. The hypo they show is an adult, so is more brown, but hypos basically have a reduced pattern and less black than normals..

This is my hypo bci. He is much smaller than the one you have, so his colors will be lighter, but you can see the typical "bow tie" markings, lack of black, and orangish-red tail markings of all hypos. He isn't a very good example of the morph, but you should still be able to see the characteristics with him.

Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Can you try taking a pic and posting to photobucket of him? I don't know many boas thta have green in their coloration. If he was sold to you as a "common boa" or "redtail" he is probably a Colombian bci.

If he is a hypo, he will be a colombian bci morph. This site lists several morphs with pics and descriptions. The hypo they show is an adult, so is more brown, but hypos basically have a reduced pattern and less black than normals..

This is my hypo bci. He is much smaller than the one you have, so his colors will be lighter, but you can see the typical "bow tie" markings, lack of black, and orangish-red tail markings of all hypos. He isn't a very good example of the morph, but you should still be able to see the characteristics with him.

he looks like the photo you sent brown green with som yellow on the side and tail woth abit of pink

Thanks

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg3_zps6b42f779.jpg.html[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/sn...c56ab.jpg.html

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/sn...2f779.jpg.html
    [/COLOR]
    hope that works bro if you can not find it they should be on my profile if its ok can u ost my pics here

- - - Updated - - -

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg3_zps6b42f779.jpg.html[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg4_zps8c8c56ab.jpg.html

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/snakelover9/media/imagejpg3_zps6b42f779.jpg.html
    [/COLOR]

Thanks
    Here is one of the pics

He is definitely a hypo. You can tell by the lack of black edging around his tail markings.

Wearing gloves? If he does bite you, don't pull away (wait for him to release) or you may pull teeth out. I'd leave him be for now to settle in, then in about a week or two, if he's feeding for you ok, then start handling regularly. Use the info I posted on hook training and just be gentle and consistent and he should calm down.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123