Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

BCI, BCC or other?

Do you guys think this is a normal BCI, a morph, or something else entirely? Looks like a nice one but I don't want to end up with a boa over 10 ft.
    http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pet/4698178492.html
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    1.0 Reticulated Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks

Re: BCI, BCC or other?

Looks like a BCI, normal boa constrictor.

Understand that you run the risk of "ending up with a 10 foot snake" any time you get into a boa. Even the smaller localities can sometimes grow large. BCI can get up to 10 feet in some circumstances - I've seen them. Boas are large, powerful snakes, so just be prepared.

With that said, BCI typically stay around the 6-8 foot mark - and if you get one as a baby and let it grow with you, you'll know it's temper and when you can play and when you should leave it be for a day or two Good luck!

Thanks

I second BCI. I recently adopted an albino sub adult. She's only 5" but she is a strong snake. Try to handle a larger snake to see if you're into it, because at times my girl is very stubborn. But that goes with learning how to move with and read your reptile.
    "Luckily" I have a talker. She will make little hisses and puffs if she doesn't like something. Who knew a snake could be so passive-agressive haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ispitroseas View Post
    I second BCI. I recently adopted an albino sub adult. She's only 5" but she is a strong snake. Try to handle a larger snake to see if you're into it, because at times my girl is very stubborn. But that goes with learning how to move with and read your reptile.
    "Luckily" I have a talker. She will make little hisses and puffs if she doesn't like something. Who knew a snake could be so passive-agressive haha
    I've handled an 11 foot burmese python which wasn't real hard. He was heavy but I could manage, he was also really chill. I'm strong for my weight but still tiny so I wouldn't have much luck if one decided to coil me though...
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skinnyrascal For This Useful Post:

ispitroseas (10-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyrascal View Post
    I've handled an 11 foot burmese python which wasn't real hard. He was heavy but I could manage, he was also really chill. I'm strong for my weight but still tiny so I wouldn't have much luck if one decided to coil me though...
    That's good. I've always been a sucker for burms and regularly see/play with them in two shops. It just kills me how hard they are so hard to get a hold of them!
    But I'm in your situation. I'm only 5'6 and my boa is taller than me. But IMO boas can be more squirmy until they get settled down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Looks like a BCI, normal boa constrictor.

Understand that you run the risk of "ending up with a 10 foot snake" any time you get into a boa. Even the smaller localities can sometimes grow large. BCI can get up to 10 feet in some circumstances - I've seen them. Boas are large, powerful snakes, so just be prepared.

With that said, BCI typically stay around the 6-8 foot mark - and if you get one as a baby and let it grow with you, you'll know it's temper and when you can play and when you should leave it be for a day or two Good luck!
    I've handled an 11 foot burmese python so I can do it, but wouldn't want to go much bigger than that. I'd say 10 ft is my limit. I'm only around 110 lbs so I want to feel safe with my snake.
    Would you say it'd be safe for me to sit on the couch with one? I could keep some hot water nearby should he ever bite and not let go. It worked on my BP at least.

I'm also considering a medium-to-large lizard like an iguana or tegu. I had an iguana when I was younger and they're really fun, though mine got too aggressive to handle.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python