Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,380

1 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is this a calico?

I purchased this guy at three weeks old about two months ago from a breeder at repticon. The breeder said he was was a calico. I'm still fairly new to BPs so I'm not really great at recognizing a less obvious morph.

When I google calico BPs the pictures all consist of snakes with more white on their sides. Is my guy just a quieter marked calico or was I bamboozled into a normal? I'll love him just the same either way, just curious.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to onthefritz For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    It's a calico so don't worry about being bamboozled. Like most morphs, they can range a fair bit in color/pattern. Calico can range from practically no white to very high white. I'd probably call yours a medium white.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (10-10-2014)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: Is this a calico?

Yupp you've got a beautiful calico on your hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    yeah it is a nice Calico
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ARBallMorphs For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thank you all so much for looking! He's a pretty cool guy nonetheless. Do any of you know much about the calico gene? It's easy to find information on so many other morphs and how they affect/combine with another but I have had a hard time finding any information on calicos. Is it a recessive gene? Can a snake be heterozygous for the calico gene? Is it just a pattern mutation or does it affect the actual color of the snake as well?

I will be going to the next repticon in Nashville in November to get a female. Im not dead set on breeding anything just yet (the thought is still pretty intimidating haha) but I would like to get another snake that I could produce some pretty unique babies with if I ever feel confident enough to try. I really like the anything Banana or Coral Glow but I want to get something that would cross well with my current guy.

Thanks again!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to onthefritz For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    hey the Calico is not an recessive gene but it is an dominant gene, wich means there is not such a thing as a het. calico.

when you breed an calico to a normal you should get some calico's.

many people say things as " then 50% should be calico and 50% normal" though this isnt true. when you breed an calico to a normal you have 50% chance per egg to have an calico in it.

if you have 4 eggs statisticly you should have 2 normals and 2 calico's but it is very well possible you get 3 calico's or maybe just 1.

as for your question what to pait it with, i myself like pastel calico's and caliders (spider calico) alot but that is just me.

check WoB ( http://www.worldofballpythons.com/ ) to see all the different calico combo's.

hope this helped

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onthefritz View Post
    Thank you all so much for looking! He's a pretty cool guy nonetheless. Do any of you know much about the calico gene? It's easy to find information on so many other morphs and how they affect/combine with another but I have had a hard time finding any information on calicos. Is it a recessive gene? Can a snake be heterozygous for the calico gene? Is it just a pattern mutation or does it affect the actual color of the snake as well?

I will be going to the next repticon in Nashville in November to get a female. Im not dead set on breeding anything just yet (the thought is still pretty intimidating haha) but I would like to get another snake that I could produce some pretty unique babies with if I ever feel confident enough to try. I really like the anything Banana or Coral Glow but I want to get something that would cross well with my current guy.

Thanks again!
    I'm going to the Nashville Repticon too! I am so excited! You'll probably see me wheeling a rack out of there lol. But I also need some other supplies to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARBallMorphs View Post
    hey the Calico is not an recessive gene but it is an dominant gene, wich means there is not such a thing as a het. calico.

when you breed an calico to a normal you should get some calico's.

many people say things as " then 50% should be calico and 50% normal" though this isnt true. when you breed an calico to a normal you have 50% chance per egg to have an calico in it.

if you have 4 eggs statisticly you should have 2 normals and 2 calico's but it is very well possible you get 3 calico's or maybe just 1.

as for your question what to pait it with, i myself like pastel calico's and caliders (spider calico) alot but that is just me.

check WoB ( http://www.worldofballpythons.com/ ) to see all the different calico combo's.

hope this helped
    does the amount of white a calico has determine the amount of white it will produce? If my guy is a medium white calico, is he more likely to produce more medium/low white babies or could he produce a higher white baby just as easily?

Thanks
    i think the amount of white is completely random, like the same how an low white piebald can still produce high white offspring.

but i am not sure if it is the same with calico

Females;

Males;
    ald

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ARBallMorphs For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (10-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARBallMorphs View Post
    i think the amount of white is completely random, like the same how an low white piebald can still produce high white offspring.

but i am not sure if it is the same with calico
    Your right It's the same as the pieds. Low white calicos can produce high white calicos and vis versa.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (10-10-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast