Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,258

0 members and 3,258 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help Please!

Thanks

Re: Help Please!

I onced tretated a kingsnake with a similar condition, after cleaning it like you did, I used betadine every day in the morning and eronfloxacine(baytril) IM every 48hs (7 shots). You need to get rid of the bacteria in the whole body, not just the mouth. The one I treated fully recovered. Good luck.

Thanks

I have absolutely no idea what that is, I will certainly look into it.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    If you don't have an extremely accurate graham scale or a vet to tell you dosage (or experience doing it yourself) you want to stay away from that stuff. Antibiotics can do more harm than good if you get dosing wrong. If you can contact a vet and order some based on their recommendations it'd be a good idea though.

He's looking a lot better!

Rafacacho is right that there's bacteria in the whole body. But if you continue to treat the oral symptoms and he can eat, drink, and otherwise be healthy, eventually the idea is that he'll knock the infection. If they can't eat or drink they can't fight it off. This is why vets are ideal for this type infection, but I get that that isn't always possible.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (10-13-2014)

Thanks

Ohh, alright.
    If I could have, I certainly would have brought her to a vet. But you have helped A LOT, thank you!

Thanks

Help Please!

This snake needs a vet. Most vets are understanding that I've dealt with and have known- the injections she needs to stop the infection in its place then push that infection out isn't a lot of money. $12 a shot and it's worth it. $120 to save your snakes life. I understand some people can't afford this, but in my humble opinion if you can't care for any animal when it's I'll ( especially due to neglect) you shouldn't own an animal. I know it's not yours and praise you for trying- any animal in your dads care should be removed immediately and put into some rescue where the snakes can get proper care.
    I hope you have quarantined this girl from your other snakes. It's highly contagious as others have already mention.
    It looks as if her eyes are infected, meaning the infections spreading - pretty quick if this wasn't this way a couple weeks ago. The rate of the progression and the gunk that built up is crazy. Poor girl.
    Sorry for being so harsh, but this is the worst case I've seen of mouth rot. I pray she makes it without the required IM (intramuscular) antibiotics she needs to fight the infection.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 10-12-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    This snake needs a vet. Most vets are understanding that I've dealt with and have known- the injections she needs to stop the infection in its place then push that infection out isn't a lot of money. $12 a shot and it's worth it. $120 to save your snakes life.
    Whoa! I won't argue that a vet visit and abx aren't called for here, but who is charging that much? My last vet visit for RI the total for the exam + meds (ten doses of two different shots, Baytril + Fortaz) was only $150.

Thanks

There is nothing more that I can do for her, except rehome her. I don't know anyone willing to take an ill snake, and two other possibly ill snakes. I have told him to get rid of them many times before, but they aren't mine to give away.
    I can't just whip money out of nowhere, so I'm sorry, but vet care is out of the question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts
    You're doing a fantastic job with her and have made great progress. Glad to see she is doing much better for you.

This is quite a roll reversal, typically it's the parents who get a kid a pet and parents wind up taking care of it. There are also many stories of parents who rehome their kid's animals when they go off to college because the parents don't want to take care of them; usually behind the kid's back. My thoughts on moving forward: Perhaps you should sit him down and be straight with him. Tell him to start caring for them again or you're going to take action with rehoming them yourself. It might be a time where you need to take the full lead in this situation and my the tough decisions.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-13-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Whoa! I won't argue that a vet visit and abx aren't called for here, but who is charging that much? My last vet visit for RI the total for the exam + meds (ten doses of two different shots, Baytril + Fortaz) was only $150.

This is what I'm currently paying for in London ontario.

My snake needs 7-10 IM Ceftazidime shots
    At $12.70 each. (Is where I got this $120 from)
    Vet visit $79.10 - which I'm sure a vet would be understanding if you only had enough for the shots (you can pay one by one as you go). My vet wants to do my snakes shots every 3 days to see the progress he does it at no additional cost. It's worth it to save his life.

Thanks

If vet care is out of the question so should owning any animal in my opinion.

It irritates me when people get snakes "to be cool" yet don't know a thing about proper care, can't afford care, and just leave them there to rot, then refuse to give them to someone who can care for them. I can't imagine what the living conditions are like. This breaks my heart, these snakes are helpless and rely on their owners for ultimate care, proper care at that. If you have the money to fork out on a whim to purchase snakes- I don't get why there's no money for vet care. Either way I hope she makes it as I said, and I Pray the others get care as well.

Praise you for doing your best and trying.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast