Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

2 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Advice?

Thanks

Advice?

Hey all, I'm really looking into getting a male red tail boa and I would appreciate any and all advice on the subject. I'm not new to snakes, and have several ball pythons. However I've always loved boas and their impressive size. I am looking into purchasing a sub adult or adult male and have a few/million questions.

I have seen in some boards that males are kept in a CB-70 rack, would this be appropriate for them? Would they be able to escape from it? I'm looking into purchasing an animal plastics T8 enclosure, would this be sufficient? have a pet rabbit that feely roams my house and worry about his safety with a large snake. That being said, does feeding twice a month really cut it - I want to minimize risk of bites out of hunger. And how regularly should I be handling my boa?

Trying to soak up as much information as I can, are there any really good websites/forums you'd recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I would start with redtailboas.com for info and questions.

An AP T8 enclosure should house him for life, in fact it may be a bit big for a sub-adult but if you clutter it up with a lot of hides it will work.

I feed my sub-adult males every two weeks and adult males every three weeks. Prey items (rats) are no bigger than the boa's widest girth. A round boa is a fat boa, they should have a square body shape.

As for handling, I don't do it for a few days after they eat, and definitely not right after you handle the rabbit. I would try to find a way to keep the rabbit out of the reptile room, my boas have very strong food responses.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

purple python (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Ditto on the site recommendation and on annexing the rabbit away from the boa somehow. You don't want to smell like rabbit, rabbit bedding, etc. because there is a very good chance you will get nailed. My boas are sweethearts except when feeding, then, they come out of their tubs with a lot of force...and from what I've heard mine don't have an extreme food response like some boas.

If you are not used to large snakes, I would advise starting with a younger boa... even one that is 1 - 1.5 years old. That way, you can work with him as he grows and get used to his habits, etc. and ensure that he is properly fed from a young age so that he doesn't get obese. I would also start hook training asap. This will help reduce the risk of getting bit via feeding response.

By hook training, what I mean is to use either a hook or something else inanimate to touch the boa each time you go into his tub for handling or to do maintenance.. and don't ever use the hook when feeding. The boa will learn that hook=no food and he will come out of feeding mode.

I house my two boas in tubs now and plan on ordering 4'x2'x18" cages for them when they are larger. Right now my 2 year old male (about 3.5 feet) is in a 110Qt. rubbermaid tub. My little guy (about 6 months 18") is in a 32Qt. If you choose to use a tub temporarily, get binder clips or luggage straps to help secure the top... These guys are avid escape artists and climbers. When you order a cage, consider getting a cage lock installed on it as well.. Apparently there are boas out there that have figured out how to open closed cages.

Good luck picking out your new boa! I started with one last year and now have 2 (and working on a third).. They have wonderful personalities and are by far my favorite snakes to work with. Just be warned, they are addicting, so be prepared to want another after your first.

One other quick recommendation: This book is awesome. It has information on all the sub species and localities, care, breeding, and loads of photos. I don't endorse spending loads of money on books often, but this one is worth well more than $42.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-09-2014),purple python (10-09-2014)

Thanks

Re: Advice?

Any updates? Have you found your first Boa?