Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

0 members and 3,272 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi all, my name is Adam and im a brand new ball python owner. I have had reptiles growing up (bearded dragons, timor monitor, rat snake) but it's been a little while since I've owned one. However, I have always admired ball pythons and have been really wanting one the past year or so. Finally, after looking at several different stores and breeders I decided to go for it and picked up this little guy today. While he was being sold as a normal, the employee said that he could possibly be a black pastel morph- but due to their uncertainty they were listing it as normal. If any of you could shed some light on this, it'd be greatly appreciated. Either way, I think he looks fantastic and that is what drew me to him initially. More importantly though, he has a a very calm demeanor and appears to be perfectly healthy. I looked him over for mites, skin irregularities, etc. As did the staff. Very happy with my purchase and am looking forward to many years of enjoyment with this guy and learning from you guys here. Thanks for having me!

Last edited by AdamE; 10-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks

Re: New Member and First Ball Python!

He certainly looks very dark. I didn't know black pastel was a thing.

Beautiful snake. What did you name him?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessimica For This Useful Post:

AdamE (10-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessimica View Post
    He certainly looks very dark. I didn't know black pastel was a thing.

Beautiful snake. What did you name him?
    Thank you Jessimica! I named him Loki. I hadn't heard much about black pastels either but after looking at some pictures, he appears he could be. Maybe a cinnamon?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    He appears to be a cute little normal to me. Definitely not cinni. Welcome to bp.net!
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles1101 View Post
    He appears to be a cute little normal to me. Definitely not cinni. Welcome to bp.net!
    Thanks for the welcome! Yea I didn't really think he's a cinnamon since he's pretty dark but I could see possibly black pastel since he has those "alien head" markings- but then again, I'm no expert

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    A lot of normals have alien heads, I'm not seeing black pastel. Unfortunately, a lot of pet stores will sell normals as "possibly something else" to make you think you're getting a better deal than you are. As long as you're happy that's what matters.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

AdamE (10-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles1101 View Post
    A lot of normals have alien heads, I'm not seeing black pastel. Unfortunately, a lot of pet stores will sell normals as "possibly something else" to make you think you're getting a better deal than you are. As long as you're happy that's what matters.
    Ah, yea I can definitely see that happening. I appreciate the info though. I was happy when I just thought he was a normal so all is well by me Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Looks like a normal to me. Definitely a good looking one. Welcome to bp.net! My first bp came from a pet shop and I'll never buy another snake from local pet stores. When you're ready for another bp check out some breeders online. There are some really good breeders out there and you'll get more for your money.
    Feel free to post more pics as your new pet grows up or if you have any questions about bp care.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Blooded_Designs View Post
    Looks like a normal to me. Definitely a good looking one. Welcome to bp.net! My first bp came from a pet shop and I'll never buy another snake from local pet stores. When you're ready for another bp check out some breeders online. There are some really good breeders out there and you'll get more for your money.
    Feel free to post more pics as your new pet grows up or if you have any questions about bp care.
    Thanks, I think he's pretty good looking too. Especially for a normal. I got him from a reptile dealer not a big Petco or anything like that but I agree, the breeder is probably a better route to go for next time. I'll certainly be updating with pictures as he gets bigger. Thanks for the info and welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast