Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

2 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Uncle Skippy Gets a Colonoscopy - A Public Service Message

About three months ago, I started having problems digesting meals at night.

Too big a meal after 6 PM and up it came around 1 AM. I was also having a hell of a time with indigestion, nausea - the whole shebang.

After putting up with it for about a month, and after constant nagging from my wife, I made an appointment with our Doctor.

Well, when you get up there in age and your tummy or your ass starts giving you problems, they immediately whip out the poop jar.

The purpose of the poop jar is to check your scat for hidden or occult blood. Surprise, mine came back positive.

So with my symptoms, my doctor had me immediately see a gastroenterologist - who immediately ordered me to take several tests - the most significant of which were a endoscopy, a HIDA scan and - wait for it - a colonoscopy.

I'll admit it to you all right here and now, I have been dreading my 50th birthday - the age thing, not so much. But 50 is the magical age in which scheduled colonoscopies become part of your life...and I've heard all the horror stories. Plus, I have a healthy aversion to having something snaked up my rectum, into my intestine, replete with a multifunction tool at the end.

I've been afraid of all of it - the prep (supposedly foul tasting, plus a night of riding the porcelain Ducati). The procedure. But most of all waking up and hearing bad news.

I am here to tell all of you - it is nothing. I'd rather have a colonoscopy than a root canal. I'd rather have a colonoscopy than sit through a Mad About You marathon. I'd rather have a colonoscopy than listen to three Ke$ha songs. It really is no big deal.

Let's break it down:

The prep - ppphht. No biggie, Chugged my first gallon (or so it seemed) of greased lightning at 5 PM and a second at 5 AM. The end result, several hours of shooting water out my rear. The time spent on the toilet allowed me to catch up to some of my friends on Deer Hunter and Candy Crush.

The procedure. The put you in a warm bed, with a warm blanket, put an IV in your arm, wheel you into a room that looks like a missile launch control room and BAM - out like a light. Probably the best half hour of sleep I've had in years. Plus my wife and kids left me alone the rest of the afternoon - which I put to good use by taking a nap.

The news? My freaking colon is so pristine, I wouldn't let most of you near it. I got a gold star and a happy face from my Doctor.

Here's the deal - I've got friends and co-workers that are deathly afraid of this procedure. If you've reached the magical age in life where a colonoscopy is recommended, but are too afraid to let your Doc do some spelunking - don't be. It was one of my great anxieties in life - a source of fear and loathing. I am here, complete with my health and pink colon and rectum, to tell you to do it. Do not fear the man with the gloved hands.

If it means catching something as nasty as colon cancer or rectal cancer early, it is well worth it.

I was given a report full of healthy glowing color pictures of my black water processing equipment. I'm thinking of making them into my avatar.......
    Last edited by Skiploder; 10-05-2014 at 12:27 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Andybill (10-05-2014),ballpythonluvr (10-05-2014),bcr229 (10-09-2014),Chkadii (10-05-2014),Eric Alan (10-05-2014),Fidget (10-05-2014),h00blah (10-05-2014),I-KandyReptiles (10-05-2014),JLC (10-06-2014),MasonC2K (10-09-2014),Pyrate81 (10-09-2014),Raven01 (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up Skip and I'm glad you got a gold star. I have a few friends that have had bouts with cancer and lost one friend to it years ago. Its not pretty.
    Last edited by KMG; 10-05-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Re: Uncle Skippy Gets a Colonoscopy - A Public Service Message

I had to have a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy at the same time when I was younger due to severe abdominal cramping, vomiting and diarrhea. I'm diagnosed with IBS.

Honestly, I thought the worst part of the whole thing was having to drink -and keep down- the liquid laxative.

Mine was citro-mag (I think) and it was sooooo sour. You had to mix it with a fruit juice, but even then it was terrible.

Colonoscopies really aren't that bad, and since they're so great to monitor and prevent cancer, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    About three months ago, I started having problems digesting meals at night.

Too big a meal after 6 PM and up it came around 1 AM. I was also having a hell of a time with indigestion, nausea - the whole shebang.
    That sounds like gall bladder attacks. BTDT, life became wonderful again after having my gall bladder removed. I was 22 at the time.

As for the colonoscopy... yeah, I need one. Soon. Colon cancer runs hard on my dad's side of my family - both his parents, he had it, all his siblings... ugh.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree on the gallbladder comment. Im no doctor, but I do work in surgery and that is textbook gall stone symptoms. If your digestion keeps giving you problems Id get that checked out. That is also an extremely common, easy, and almost always minimally invasive procedure

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2