Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

1 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Smile Getting my first ball python tomorrow

Hello. This is my first post. I am about to adopt my first ball python, and I am very excited! I own 4 corn snakes and I absolutely love them! I am getting him from a woman whose husband owned the python but recently passed away. It is 5 years old and comes with all the equipment. So here is my problem- I have all of my corn snakes on f/t mice, and it's oh so convenient. The woman is insisting that the python will not eat frozen thawed rats. Is there any way this can be changed? Can I somehow "simulate" alive-ness by warming properly and wiggling etc? I just can't imagine that a hungry snake is going to be that picky. I really have no problem feeding live, it's just that the feed store is really far to drive to, and I prefer stocking up. Any advice? Do I just need to quit my whining and give it what it wants? Or are there any tricks to weening him off live? I'd really like to save the gas money and travel time, and I definitely don't want live rats living in my house. My son will start naming them. Anyway, glad to be here! Looking forward to your input!
    Una
    1.0 ball python, 3.1 corn snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Some balls can be very picky, really all snakes, but especially balls.

My brb was sworn to only eat live but after a few weeks with me he started taking f/t some. Now he hammers them as if he had always eaten them.

Make sure your offering the prey super warm as a rats body temp is around 100F. Then hold by the tail and see what happens. If its not taken try the zombie dance which is just wiggling it.

I would leave it alone for 10-14 days to settle in before offering food. Some snakes dome need much to be thrown off feeding. After that try f/t and see what happens.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Getting my first ball python tomorrow

Okay, thanks for the input. That really sounds encouraging. I'll see what happens!
    Una
    1.0 ball python, 3.1 corn snakes