Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,194

1 members and 2,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh psh. Sinister cannibalism gene? Hyperbole much?

The one corn is a strong feeder who can be 'exciting' to remove from her cage. Every single thing is food. I did succeed in breeding her this year without issue. The second, well, I have no idea why she was tasting her male like that as they were fed 3 days prior and she, despite being a petite thing, had stuffed herself with 2 extra large mice. And she only did that the once.

Feren's personality was not such that he could handle the cohabbing, which is why he went off feed and became such a skittish thing.

It is simply a thing that *can* happen. Some people have worse 'luck' than others when it comes to things. Hell, I have a kitten with frickin' scoliosis which is so rare that there's only a single case study on it. I've had TWO foster animals with hydrocephalus who both lived. I had kittens with transient pancreatic insufficiency, also exceedingly uncommon. My current dog is allergic to human beings. I am queen of the "But that's supposed to be rare."

Partly because of my history with Murphy, and as a veterinary technician, I do not view the potentials risks to be worth it. At best, I have 2 snakes in a large tank. At worst, I have a stressed out snake, or even only 1 very fat snake. There is NO benefit to the snake, it's only about human convenience. These are my pets. I'm going to do the best for them that I can, and that involves their housing, feeding, and their medical care.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

celixo (10-03-2014),NH93 (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    You know, for as heated and debated a topic as I have seen this many times, I do have to say this is very civil and personally I appreciate it! I enjoy these types of conversations, and was the focus of my joining this forum. So thank you, fellow members, for keeping it so well!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

celixo (10-03-2014),Pyrate81 (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I personally have housed adult corns together for several years with no ill effects. I have also housed baby corns together and have had personal experience with them eating each other. Once while still in the incubator. In all instances, the consumer and the consumee both died (it was really weird to find an incredibly bloated and mishapen dead baby corn with a tail sticking out of it's mouth. I guess that's just something that is bound to happen when you eat something that is 100% of your body weight)

I do find it interesting that this has always happened to me with babies that had not yet started feeding on their own and it has not ever happened to me with adult snakes. On the other hand, I don't typically house adult snakes together but I typically DO house together clutches of baby snakes until after their first shed so it could just be a matter of percentages. In any case, cannabilism is rare.

Snakes are opportunistic feeders that can, when they are in the mood, eat whatever is in front of their faces. MOST OF THE TIME, this will not happen. But it can.

On a side note, I've also had this happen to me with baby leopard geckos.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (10-04-2014),Pyrate81 (10-03-2014),Viol8r (01-07-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12