Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

3 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thermostats! I still don't know which one to get...advice?

So, I have four tanks (glass w/ plexglass lids) housing a normal, a spider, a corn snake, and a hogg island. I'm looking for thermostat to control temps, but I'm wondering what my options are. If I must get the herpstat 4, then I'll have to save. I was wondering if I have any other options, or if people have other ideas? I have done a fair amount of research, so I guess I'm looking for some tips or insight! Thanks!

Thanks
    In all honesty you could get away with a herpstat 2 (or the vivarium electronics equivalent) boas and ball pythons have similar heat requirements while the corn snake requires a little less heat. you can plug the tree to a power strip set to 90F and have the corn's tank plugged into the other input set to 85F. just my two cents

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ajmreptiles For This Useful Post:

donnybikes (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    The only issue with what ajmreptiles recommended is that the heat sources (UTH, etc.) on the tanks for the BPs (the ones that would go into the same channel on the thermostat) would have to be the same...Otherwise, it would send the same amount of power to both and one might be getting hotter than the other.

If you had tubs, I'd suggest the ultratherm heat strips. Ultratherms are good UTHs and the heat strips are longer so that you can sit multiple tubs on top of them while the strip is plugged into one thermostat. That said, I don't think it would work with glass tanks.

If you want to go cheaper, you could get 4 hydrofarm thermostats (they are on/off type, but reliable in my experience). 4 hydrofarms would be about $140. I am using two right now with no issues.

When I found myself in your situation last year, I ended up getting the herpstat 4 and haven't been sorry about my decision. It is a great thermostat. That said, I found the price very high too... What I did was request amazon gift cards for my birthday, Christmas, etc. and bought one from the bean farm through amazon using the gift cards to cover part of the cost. I am now switching to a rack system so that I'll have more free channels on the herpstat to add more animals to my collection and not have to use the hydrofarms, etc. except for quarantine.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Thermostats! I still don't know which one to get...advice?

While a Hydro farm may be a cheaper solution, the problem is with not how they work, but how they fail. I have not experienced first hand but have heard a number of people say that when they have failed, they fail in the "ON" position meaning they run full current to heat strip which resulted in temps well over 110, causing burns, melted tubs, etc. We all spend a good deal of money on our animals and worry about proper care, so why would you not want to invest in the proper equipment to protect the animal and your investment. If you can afford it, I would get two Herpstat 2s. It would ensure the safety of your animals as Herpstats, if they fail, are made to fail in the "Off" position. Also, having two 2s allows you some versatility of setups down the road such as, using one in a quarentine room and the other in your regular space. A Herpstat 4 has to be within 12 feet of all setups. Last, if you decide to get out of the Hobby and wish to recoup some of your investment, the Herpstats are pretty easy to sell and retain at least half their value. Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 09-24-2014 at 07:43 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I use Spyder Robotics exclusively. That being said, I haven't tried many of the other brands on the market, so there may be others that are just as good or better - but I wouldn't know. I've never had any problems with my Herpstats, ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Herpstat. I have four and have never had an issue.

I tried a Hydropharm once and it failed in three months and failed on. Luckily I didn't trust it and was always checking it and found it within the first hour of its failure. From then on I only use Herpstat and will not recommend Hydrofarm.

Buy the best you can as your going to need it as long as you have a snake.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    I use Spyder Robotics exclusively. That being said, I haven't tried many of the other brands on the market, so there may be others that are just as good or better - but I wouldn't know. I've never had any problems with my Herpstats, ever.
    Local question: I just got my first snake a few weeks ago am very new to all this. 50 gallon tank, the UTH is on a dimmer and temp has been very steady so far. I have day and IR 'basking' lights on timers, and use sliders to bring them up or down as needed.

Should I order a Herpstat 2 (one channel for heat, the other for day lighting) online or wait 4 weeks for the Expo in October at Downsview Park and see if I can get a good price on one there?
    Last edited by The Golem; 09-24-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    I have 2 herpstats, and am very happy with them. T-stats are really an investment item. Like a ceramic heat emitter, a good one will last you basically forever, so spending money for a good one, though expensive up front, will likely save you money in the long run. I even bought the humidity probe with my herpstat 4, and use one of the channels to run a humidifier in my snake room during the winter.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Same ^

I have a pair of Herpstat 2's, and you get what you pay for. I have never had an issue with them. Use them in my rack, hatchling rack, and incubator.

Thanks

This is all very helpful. Luckily in Colorado, people use hydrofarms for other recreational activities haha, so I picked one up from CL. Going to test it out while I save for a herpstat.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast