Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,140

0 members and 1,140 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I actually don't expect to make much cash with the Google ads. From my experience with them, you are lucky if the money you make even covers your hosting fees.

So, the blue is too bright? I tend to like bright colors myself, so it's easy to get carried away. I can easily tone down the color, contrast and tweak the layout. That stuff is fun and easy! Thanks for the feedback!
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts
    Go with a color scheme that's easy on the eyes. This means you need decent contrast so that text is readable, while avoiding backgrounds that are either black or white. Vivid/neon colors also should not be used for either background or text.

WTF is up with that picture in the top right? The snake is fine, the tongue action not so much.

Menu option 2 can simply be labelled "About". It's pretty standard that "About" on any page means that page/site/etc, and not someone else's.

Change menu option 7 to read "List Your Business FREE". Active voice, not passive, will draw more attention and it fits better in the block.
    On the List Your Business page if you're going to reference your Facebook page, include a link to it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (09-24-2014)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Reptile Breeder Directory Website! Breeders Can Sign Up Now for FREE Listings

Quote Originally Posted by wendhend View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, Deborah! I have professional design software with all kinds of templates available, but I didn't see any that I particularly liked for this type of a website. I think the layout I have is fairly typical, and I don't find the color scheme particularly flashy myself. Is the blue too bright? Can you tell me specifically what you think doesn't look professional about it? Colors and layout are very easy to change, and I can certainly tweak them easily enough.
    Color and unrelated advertising are my issue, colors wants to make you close the page and unrelated advertising almost make it look like on of those free domain. If you put advertising make it so it's not overweening and taking away from the content. Use larger banner for the bottom of the page and if you chose sides, chose one side Don't do it on both and use smaller banners.

Color scheme you want to stay within are easy on the eyes and fairly neutral, shades of grey, black and white, shades of beige....etc you can use other colors as well but they need to be soft, pastel like and you want to stay with matching colors and use no more then different ones.

You want to avoid any bright neon type colors it does get the attention but I did not stay on the site very long because the color we're just too much and I am sure many will do the same.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-24-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-24-2014),Dave Green (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Personally I am a fan of the following pages designs and each has characteristics that can be used to "flow" better to your vision...

http://www.benrenick.com/
    http://www.bhbreptiles.com/
    http://stewartreptiles.com/
    http://www.reptmart.com/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-24-2014)

Thanks

Re: New Reptile Breeder Directory Website! Breeders Can Sign Up Now for FREE Listings

Okay, I have edited the site layout. I made the blue much more subdued and changed the background to gray, which reduced the contrast a lot. I added some gradient coloration to the gray, like they have on a lot of the templates. I eliminated the snake's flicking tongue and all other color besides blue that was present. If you see any bright colors now, they are probably from Google display ads. I'm not sure why Google was displaying ads that were unrelated. They are supposed to match the content or leave blank space if there are no content matching ads available. Anyway, I think it looks way more subdued now. Take a look and let me know if you guys think it looks better. Thanks! Reptile Breeder Directory
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks
    100% better - much easier to look at!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

wendhend (09-24-2014)

Thanks

Thank you!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wens it gonna have breeder info on it? This gonna be a national or international list? Are you gonna have the list of breeders put into specific areas, for ease of searching, or just have them all jumbled onto one list?

I think current colors look good too.
    Last edited by vangarret2000; 09-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    Always be Batman

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vangarret2000 For This Useful Post:

wendhend (09-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vangarret2000 View Post
    Wens it gonna have breeder info on it? This gonna be a national or international list? Are you gonna have the list of breeders put into specific areas, for ease of searching, or just have them all jumbled onto one list?
    The most useful queries would be by species and state/province (if US/Canada).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

wendhend (09-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thank you! The directory is intended to be worldwide. I am hoping to have it published with breeder profiles by mid October. Initially I am organizing by species produced, but I would like to make it searchable by location as well. I'm getting a lot of submissions from snake breeders, which is great, but I will have to figure out the best places to recruit for lizard, turtle and amphibian breeders who might also want to be listed on the directory. I think this will be a fun project and look forward to seeing how it does!
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12