Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,494

2 members and 3,492 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Broken Fast--SWEET Relief!

Have you ever been so thrilled to see a snake eat that you wanted to jump up and down and do cartwheels? My Enchi girl, Gaz, came to me in May. She was 252 grams when she came to me and steadily refused to eat. Nothing, nada, no go...I tried rat pups, rat fuzzies, a mouse, live, F/T. I checked and double checked husbandry. These past two weeks have seen a huge breakthrough. I had just about given up...she went down to 219 grams and I was steeling myself to do my first assisted feeding. I bought two pinky mice for the purpose. I dropped the first pinky into her tub and went to fetch feeding tongs to do the dirty deed. To my utter shock, Gaz showed interest for the first time...after a bit of sniffing around, she opened her mouth and ate it on her own! Then she took the second one. Last feeding, she readily took two more pinkies. A good start but at 9 grams per, it didn't seem like it would be nearly enough. So I tried a rat pup to see if she'd eat it. She turned her nose up. I took it out and on a whim, gave her a live jumbo mouse with no expectation she'd take it. She usually flinches away from anything too active, but this time she struck and wrapped the mouse up like a real snake does! Woo hoo, I'm so excited! Obviously, she'll be getting a lot more mice.

Thanks
    Congrats! I had a recent pickup give me a hard time eating so I picked up some live hoppers and she's been chowing live mice ever since.
    Cheers, Jeff