Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

2 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Strange movement?

This is sort of difficult to describe, but when I returned Shesha to his tank last night after adjusting his heat sensors he was slithering across the decor and substrate but seemed to be going out of his way to push his body against anything he passed by. He was moving normally while he was out so it isn't a regular behavior, but his body seemed flexed more than is required for locomotion and he seemed to be gripping and pushing against everything he came in contact with, almost like a cat rubbing against furniture but with his whole body. After a bit he retreated to his warm hide. I did check, to the best of my ability, for mites and saw nothing concerning. Like I said, it is the only time I have seen him do this and he does seem to have a bit of dulling on the top of his head. I contacted the breeder who says that he feels I may be seeing him shed in a couple of weeks or so, but he did not have an exact timeframe for the last shed either. Any ideas what might have caused him to do this, is it something they do prior to a shed? He is eating and seems healthy but it was very odd.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Snakes are weird. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Kinda reminds me of my bloods when they are pissy. Kind of a bull in a china shop type thing.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Strange movement?

Quote Originally Posted by kiiarah View Post
    Any ideas what might have caused him to do this, is it something they do prior to a shed? He is eating and seems healthy but it was very odd.
    I know exactly what caused him to do this - you were watching him exploring still very unfamiliar surroundings. Relax!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Oh good, he just looked so awkward the poor thing , I am glad it is nothing to worry about. Just out of curiosity, will a snake always begin shedding when the time is right, or can this also be affected by humidity. The tank has been at a pretty steady 60% humidity and I know when he begins to shed it should be increased and a humid hide provided, but will shedding begin properly with a 60% level?

Thanks
    Yes - proper shedding will begin at the 60% level.

Full disclosure, I keep my BP room between 50-55% humidity (use of a humidifier controlled by a humidistat). In that room, I've never raised humidity for any snake beyond those levels (during shedding or otherwise) and have never had a bad shed. Your mileage may vary, but this is what works for me and my collection.

Thanks

That is incredibly reassuring. I was a bit concerned about how I would get the tank to the 80% I see recommended sometimes. Covering the majority of the screen lid has worked very well so far, at least assuming the Acurite hygrometer is accurate. I see that you are in Gilbert, AZ. I am in the Cottonwood area, near Sedona so very similar climate. I envy people who live in naturally humid climates. We do have a huge fish tank in a relatively small apartment, so I think that helps. Relatives always complain about how humid it is. I guess it will serve a purpose after all.

Thanks
    Of course you'd be from AZ. Ha!

Thanks

Haha yeah probably one of the worst places to pursue python keeping eh? At least I am a bit used to strange and conflicting environmental requirements. I also have a chinchilla who of course has to be keep absurdly cool all the time. I would never have gone out of my way to get one simply due to the climate here, but she was in the classifieds free to a good home and already housed in Arizona. Apparently she was originally purchased for a 5 year old, which I still can't wrap my mind around, but she is thriving and I am thrilled to have her. Still it is always a struggle keeping critters in such a strange climate.