Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

0 members and 3,393 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What do I want?? Pet suggestions please.

I'm looking into different pets. Mainly I'm looking for a laid back animal. Hence my being on this site because I'm interested in getting a ball python in the future. They seem pretty chill animals. I have corn snakes at the moment but they are more active, never sitting still.

I want to know what do you guys think are the best laid back animals that are fine with just hanging out on my bed or in my arms (besides dogs or cats!), while still being relatively affordable and do not take up too much space. Birds and fish are not options either for me. I just don't find them very interesting.

Also does anyone here keep rats as pets? And do you find them to be laid-back animals?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: What do I want?? Pet suggestions please.

My blue tounge skink was laid back and chill as could be hangs out on the sofa all the time

Banned
    Thanks

Or look at some tarantulas. My rose hair like just sitting on my shoulder and they dont take up much space at all

Thanks
    Oh I should've mentioned, preferably something that isn't a bug/eats bugs since I'm a little squeamish of them. I mean, I think lizards like beardies and such are adorable but I don't think I could handle the feeding part.

Banned
    Thanks

Look into blue tounge skins. They can eat everything in your kitchen sink and then some without feeding bugs. Mine ate high end raw dog food 2-3 times a week and a mix of veggies the rest. With a hopper every now and then

Thanks
    rats are not low-maintenance and there's quite a bit of smell and cleaning involved. The boys are more laid back and I'd say fit your requirements better, but I wouldn't trust them to just hang out on your lap for any extended period of time. The sleep in their cage, but when out, will roam around and get into stuff. You have to do a good bit of cleaning in their cage (they can smell quite loudly if you get behind on cleaning the bedding and hammocks, etc.). They are cuddly and like to be petted if you get ones that were raised with people or buy from a breeder that handles them.

Of all the small rodents, I think they make the best pets, but again, they are a lot of work.

Skinks, from what I've heard are very laid back and I am, myself, looking into getting one. You feed them a mix of veggies and meat (like cat / dog food) and they do not need bugs.

I also have crested geckos and you can keep them without feeding bugs (you feed a mix of gecko food). Some of them are chill and others not, it depends on the gecko.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Crested/Gargoyle geckos are pretty chill and have fairly easy living requirements (especially since you already have snakes). They can eat Rapashy diet, as well.

Thanks
    Ball Pythons are very chill and laid back. They are also low maintnance. Feeding on a rat once a week to every other week depending on size. Just make sure the temps are right in the cage set up.
    1.0 Normal (Drake)
    1.2 100% Het. Pied (2015 Male) . (Death of the Endless), (2015 Female)
    1.0 Pastel PH Pied (Dream of the Endless)
    0.1 Spider (Delirium of the Endless)
    2.2 Het Albino (Morph), (Destruction of the Endless) . (Despair of the Endless), (Marvel Girl)
    1.0 Mojave (Destiny of the Endless)
    0.1 Butter (Desire of the Endless)
    2.1 Pastel (2016 Male 1), (2016 Male 2) . (Pheonix)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Dark Pheonix)
    1.1 Piebald (Ice-Man) . (Emma Frost)
    1.0 Super Pastel Fire (Wolverine)
    0.1 Super Pastel Yellow Belly (Psyclocke)
    1.0 Albino Pastel (Colossus)
    1.0 Inferno (Cyclops)
    1.0 Banana Spider (Angel)
    1.0 Coral Glow (Sabretooth)
    1.0 Orange Dream (Havok)
    0.1 Jigsaw (Jean Grey)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Beast)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    A ball python is one of the few animals that will just chill on your lap for a decent period of time. Husbandry requirements can be a bit difficult to maintain for a beginner, but once you're all set up you should be good to go with regular cleanings and basic monitoring of temps and humidity. They only need to eat once per week, which makes upkeep fairly simple. However, just like any other animal, each bp has it's own personality, and there is no guarantee that the snake will just sit there either. Once comfortable, he or she might explore rather than sit still too. Depends on the snake. They do make great simple pets though if you don't mind feeding them rats.

One disclaimer however...if you do decide to get a ball python, you will almost certainly want more. So keep that in mind when thinking about space.

- Nakita

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    In my collection my bloods are the most laid back. Now they didn't start out that way but once they were used to me and stopped trying to eat me they will just hang around my neck or lay with me until I put them up. Now I wouldn't suggest a Blood right off but maybe a short tail or black as they stay on the smaller size. The only other animal that may move less than my bloods is a pet rock. When out they are far less energetic than my ball.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast