Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

2 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First feeding

Thanks

First feeding

So Shesha, my juvenile pastel, took his first at home feeding last night. He retreated into his hide right after swallowing his pinky rat and has been curled up in there since. I have seen handling guidelines varying from 24 after feeding all the way up to 72 hours, but everyone seems to say it depends on temps, size of meal, and the snake itself. Is there any sign I can watch for to know that he is done digesting? For example, if I see him out and about in the evening, is it a safe bet that he has digested and can be handled or would it still be wise to wait beyond that. I had read that some people wait for them to poop, but then other posts indicate that balls can go weeks before that happens. Also, since he is in his hide and tucked away behind his aspen shavings, how long would it be considered normal for him to stay there before I would start worrying that something is wrong. I am probably being paranoid since he is my first bp and this is his first feeding, but I keep worrying that if something were wrong I would have no way of knowing. I don't want to lift his hide to check on him for risk of stressing him, but would there be an amount of time after which I would need to worry if he still hasn't come out?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    48 hours seems to be the most agreed upon time frame. You're right though, I've seen anything form 6 hours to 72 hours. I certainly wouldn't wait until they poop to handle them - you could be waiting for quite some time (they don't poop after every meal)!

As far as him being in his hide - a hiding BP tends to be a happy BP. Happy for a BP means they feel safe/secure and are feeding well. I wouldn't be concerned that he's spending too much time in there pretty much ever (as long as you're doing semi-regular health and welfare checks).
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Western hognose (09-21-2014)

Thanks

Re: First feeding

So would you say that once I see him out and active it would be safe to handle him? =)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Banned
    Thanks

Yea if he is out exploring after a least 24hr from time of feeding you will be fine in my experince. And every snakes a little diffrent. Some of my bp will hide 2-3 day after a good feeding others will be out and about later that night. Your snake will let you know if he wants to be left alone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiiarah View Post
    So would you say that once I see him out and active it would be safe to handle him? =)
    I'd wait at least 24 hours and then use that as an indicator. Some stay in feeding mode and roam for the night after feeding before settling down to digest, so don't let that fool you into thinking he's digested his meal that quickly.

How many times has he eaten since you've had him?

Thanks

This is the first time. It has now been 24 hours, he did go straight into his hide and stayed there all night and all day today as far as I can tell. He is out again now and in his favorite plant. =)

1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks
    Since that's the case, I'd stay away from holding him until he's eaten at least three consecutive meals from you. Getting used to his new home is stressful enough - let him get used to you down the road a bit.

Thanks

That makes sense, he's doing so well I don't want to mess anything up. Do you happen to have a moment to take a look at the post I have up regarding uth set up? You have been so helpful today and it sounds like you know what you are doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiiarah View Post
    That makes sense, he's doing so well I don't want to mess anything up. Do you happen to have a moment to take a look at the post I have up regarding uth set up? You have been so helpful today and it sounds like you know what you are doing.
    Yep. KMG's advice is solid, so I didn't see a need to say the same thing twice. He and I tend to agree about a lot of things on here.

Thanks

Perfect, sounds like a plan then. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast