Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

1 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

New baby pastel, adjusting well?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, though I have read through quite a few threads in preparation for my first ball python coming home. He is here now and seems to be adjusting well but I was really hoping to get some behavioral insights from some experienced keepers. When we first handled him at the breeders he seemed very relaxed. He didn't ball at all while being handled. He did respond quickly when a loud noise startled him but just pulled his neck back into an S shape. He only stayed like that for maybe 5 seconds and then went back to exploring. He didn't seem frantic during this time, I definitely didn't get the impression he was trying to escape, he just kept extending his neck and looking around while flicking his tongue. I have read that long and probing tongue flicks indicate more curiosity than fear, as opposed to short fast flicking. When he first got in the enclosure he did explore, sniffing all the decor and hides. He drank from his water bowl twice, and fairly immediately found and curled up in his warm hide. He has spent every day in his warm hid and comes out and curls up in his plant watching the floor of the enclosure at night. I have read that ball pythons are not climbing snakes, but that juveniles will do this more often than adults but would this be considered normal behavior or should I expect him to be out slithering around at night more than hanging out watching? He is about two months old and feeding on F/T rats. He just ate his first F/T rat pinky at home last night and retreated into his warm hide to digest. We have only had him for three days so I was not expecting him to feed so willingly, but I wanted to try to keep him on the same schedule the breeder had him on, which was every Saturday. What do you think, does it sound like he is doing well or are there any signs of stress that I may not have noticed? Thank you so much for your help.

This is Shesha.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Re: New baby pastel, adjusting well?

Everything sounds normal. Try not to over-think things, though I understand the "new parent" syndrome!

Normally people suggest leaving your snake undisturbed in their enclosure for at least a week before attempting to handle or feed. But it sounds like your guy adapted pretty quickly. As long as your husbandry is correct (as per the caresheet guidelines), your snake is eating/drinking/defecating regularly, and he hides during the day and seems active and alert at night, I'd say everything is A-OK! Signs of problems are usually not eating, not defecating, or lethargy/hanging out in unusual places. You should be commended for giving your guy a comfortable new home!

Personally, I'm super jealous of how chill and friendly he sounds. My little girl is about 2.5 mo old and is pretty shy still. She never casually explores and doesn't really like hanging out. I'm hoping she'll "come around" with a little patience and regular handling.
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

Thanks

New parent syndrome is exactly right lol. In fact I was just remarking earlier today how similar I feel to when I had my first son, noticing every little thing and worrying about it. He really does seem to have an amazing temperament, which is great because my husband is really not big on snakes but this little guy has even won him over. =) I have heard that young snakes tend to be more skittish than adults, so I am sure your girl will relax with time. As for hanging out in wierd places, would resting at the top of his plant at night be weird, or do you mean like sleeping in the open during the day?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiiarah View Post
    As for hanging out in wierd places, would resting at the top of his plant at night be weird, or do you mean like sleeping in the open during the day?
    Yeah, I mean more like not going into hides, sleeping in the open during the day, etc. Hanging out on plants at night sounds fine to me. My own Gloria likes to rest on just about everything in her tub (when she thinks I'm not watching, of course!)

Congrats on having a charmer of a snake!

Thanks

Ok I will watch for that sort of thing then. Is it normal for them to be out and night but then go back in the warm hide before sunrise? I noticed that Shesha did this tonight, but I did have the light on in the room for a bit.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks

Yup, perfectly normal!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thejennabird For This Useful Post:

The Golem (09-21-2014)