Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

3 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Auctions?

Thanks

Auctions?

So lately I've been obsessively checking the Reptile Ring, and have won two snakes from the site. I'm just loving the deals, since I got my baby mojave girl for 135 shipped, and I have a 2013 lesser bee male coming in on Tuesday that cost me all of 145. Since I'm only just now expanding my collection and looking to get into breeding, I thought these were wonderful prices for some very nice animals (perfect for me, as I'm kind of trying not to destroy my bank account too early on). However I've heard from other people that reptile auctions are usually for snakes that otherwise don't sell very well. I'm not super knowledgeable about the quality of certain genes, seeing that I'm fairly new to the whole morphology game, but I really don't want to pass up deals that could help me out in the long run.

Could someone point out what to look for/avoid as far as reptile auctions go? I know I'm not going to be hedging any bets on possible het this or that, but otherwise I'm just very new to most of this, and am still feeling my way around.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Auctions?

Reptile auctions are killing the ball python market bad. I read a articlr about it a few months back I will see if I can find it again.

Thanks
    He didnt really pay or get a good deal at all on those snakes, he may have saved 30-50$ on lesser bee which most ppl would combo and save anyways.... What ruins market is big breeders FLOODING market with new hot codom animals.... Perfect new example.. Banana/GC. Yes run to multi gene females make new morphs slam money.

Starts at 20,000$ lets say, Joe buys its and runs it to Codom collection making cinni nanas/mojave/and other co doms
    He also does well and runs to his Recessives and makes killer projects!

Now there BOB who pulls out a loan and buys ones.. 20,000$ and Slams that boy to every normal female he knows, every snake he has, and buys more normals, Now hes just produced 50 clutches of bananas, avg 5 eggs a clutch and 50% of of them are nanas, he has 125 of them and buncha normals "Hell A sell to pet store or B feed off to bigger snakes or give away) Bob now slams expo or pre sales and offers for 15,000$ WOW what a deal he gets ride of say 25 well thats not enough NOW he cuts down to 10,000$ looses more, Next month 5,000$ and then OVER NIGHT to 2000$ Now here we are with them, All the people mass produced and want to get ride of there late investment AND well now, you get em for 450-500! (single gene) and here in canada they are still hovering at 600-700$ (which i believe they have rock bottomed at 350-450$ for a year or so) so when you look at that THAT is what kills market.. not auctions... you dont Auction high end stuff.. so prices always seem to even out to market value!
    Last edited by CORBIN911; 09-22-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    I've been using auctions as well and with RR I highly doubt any of the breeders Mike Wilbanks allows on there would ever sell a sick or highly problematic snake. If that is the only auction you follow then you have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by alan12013; 09-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.