Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

0 members and 3,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Snake momma over here having a freakout

Hi, Im new to the site but i really need some advice as there isnt much herb support locally. My ball who is almost two years old escaped for 3 months while under my little sisters care as i was trying to find a new home. We searched everywhere, several times a day, did everything your supposed to to find a snake and he didnt turn up so i thought he was a gonner for sure, until he showed up in her room about a week ago.

I was sooo excited, got his tank all set up the way he had it and his lights and humidifier on for him, left him undisturbed for 24 hours and brought him home a mouse. He has escaped before, not for nearly as long, but has always taken his food no matter what the circumstances, but now he wont eat.

He spent quite a while in his water bowl, but doesnt appear to be too dehydrated. He has been more active than usual, acting like hes hungry but he still wont take a mouse. I checked for mouth rot, there is no mucus or bubbles, his breathing seems a tad heavy but no weazing popping or bubbling, no mites, hes got some weird tongue action going (slow but frequent flickering), and when he "yawns" it looks like he cant get both sides closed at the same time. He also has what looks like dry spots on the back of his head before his neck. He has been zoning out which i thought was stargazing but after watching some videos i dont think it is. His light, temp and himidity levels are all good.

Ive been scouring info on everything from mouth rot, r.i., and ibd, but nothing seems to fit the whole picture here.

Sorry for such a long post but im freaking out a bit and there are no exoctic vet anywhere in my area. I have had b.ps for most of my life and ive never had one not eat, especially Bud after an adventure. Any advice? Or am i just being an over protective mom?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Leave him undisturbed for a week just checking on him when he is out roaming the cage. It is just like bringing him home for the first time again he needs to adjust.

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    My advice is to leave him alone for a week but watch him closely. I would cross out IBD unless you have other pets that may carry the disease. It's a very so the snake would have to get it from another infected host. RI is possible and usually the symptoms don't just flare up. They start small then gradually get worse if the snake goes untreated. If I were you, I'd make sure his hotspot is dead on at 88-89 (make sure he has a cooling spot) and leave him be.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks

Re: Snake momma over here having a freakout

My first BP named houdini (named after his great escape tricks) did this the first few months I brought him home. Same slow tongue flicker, same dry spots, n refused food. After leaving him be a week or so, he began to come back around to the BP I was used to seeing, he ate roughly 2 weeks after being reintroduced to his habitat and finally the dry spots after 1 shed were gone. The vet had told me it is common when a snake is seeking warmth when escaping because they try n find heat sources any where they can, the dry spots are possibly due to having the had resting on a warmer area than the rest of his body to try n retain heat. Just close attention, light misting, and a well maintained heat/humidity will get your scaly baby back to normal. N don't forget lid clamps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GerianAmoure For This Useful Post:

charleelaine (09-14-2014)

Thanks
    I wonder if he may have been injured or maybe not enough humidity when he was on the loose. for the spot on his head, if he wasn't seen maybe he likes his privacy. do you have a hide for him? You might want to close in the sides or black them out?...just thinking out loud...Good luck keep us posted..
    0.1 normal
    1.0 spider
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 bumblebee
    1.0 green iguana
    2.1 bearded dragons
    1.3 children
    0.1 wife

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Absolutely you're being a good, concerned, over-protective mom - all good things after a scare like that. The advice already given is sound. Give him a chance to relax and adjust for a week or so before trying to feed him again. Honestly, I'm more surprised that you've never had one not eat before. It's pretty common for them to be finicky in various stages of their lives. Consider yourself lucky!

On a completely different note, I got a chuckle that you're in seek of herb advice for a snake named Bud. Thanks for the laugh!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

charleelaine (09-14-2014),GerianAmoure (09-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thank you all! I was worried about him being injured but he moves normally, and doesnt seem to be having any physical struggles. I have always fed him in a tub in the bathroom because i feed live, i turn the lights off but i always watch him and there is usually a smattering of curious friends or kids who want to see him eat, snakes arent very common pets where i live. He has a hide but hes usually not a real big privacy hog.

If he does have ri i think it must be early stage because i can find any other symptoms, are there any natural remedies you know of that could help his get better? Im one of those crunchy hippies that has to try the natural route before anything man made.

GerianAmoure, thank you so much for replying, your post calmed me down a lot, i appreciate it!

Thanks

Re: Snake momma over here having a freakout

Very welcome charleelaine I felt just as you did when Houdini would escape on me... Wish I had a site like this back then lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Last edited by Masonic; 09-14-2014 at 08:40 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Masonic For This Useful Post:

charleelaine (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    I will definetely try the vics things! Thanks so much! Im not hearing any popping or wheazing though, and no bubbles but hes not coiling like normal which i understand is a sign or ri as well.