Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

0 members and 3,172 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Question about Feeding

I have a 3 yr old BP, he's about 2 ft long, but I don't know how much he weighs (or how to weigh him anyway). The lady I got him from said to feed him 1 medium mouse every 5 days, but I've been seeing on here how some owners are feeding theirs rats or large mice, or 2 mediums. Am I feeding him too little? Should I start feeding small rats? or 2 medium mice? And if I feed 2 mice, how do I do that? I usually dangle it with the tongs and he'll take it within a minute. Oh and I've had him for about a month now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You can get a kitchen scale to weigh your snake. They are cheap on amazon.

As for the feeding its usually recommended to feed prey that weights 10% of your snakes weight. Since we dont know the weight we switch to eyeballing it. You want to serve a prey item that is around the same size as your snakes girth at its widest part on its body.

When feeding more then one feeder just serve the first and once the first has been completely swallowed and worked down through the neck the second can be served. This should not be need though it you are offering the proper size prey be it mice or rats.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    A general rule of thumb is to feed prey the size of the thickest part of the snake. To weigh him, just use a kitchen scale and a bowl to put him in.
    Snakes
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Zeus)

Fish
    1.0 Beta

Thanks

Re: Question about Feeding

Okay thanks alot guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

If it is 3 years old and actually only two feet long, then it seems a bit undersized. If you are going to stay with mice then I would suggest bump up to two a week to start. If you are going to switch to rats then start with a rat weaned and if that seem too small bump up the next feeding to a rat small. 1 rat small a week should be sufficient until the snake is over 1000 grams if it is a female, and if it is a male, a rat small a week should suffice the rest of it's life. Good luck

Thanks

Well I've never actually measured him. 2 feet is just a guess. It's impossible for me to get him to fully stretch out, and when he does in his cage, his twisted or turned around things and stuff so all I do is just eyeball. He could be closer to 3 feet. And I have no idea what gender he was. He's adopted, about a month ago, and she said he was never sexed.