Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

1 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

help with identifying a frog please?

okay so i was at my auto shop working on one of my cars with the bay door open and noticed my cat was pouncing on something, which i quickly realized was a frog from previous observations of this behavior. i ran over to it to pick it up and check it out and stop the cat from terrorizing it, but when i got to thinking, i've never seen a frog like it. it was a baby frog, had smooth, shiny black skin with a grayish color underneath it, had a fat little body and little bitty eyes. it had no resemblance to a toad at all. what could this be? i live in south eastern tennessee, around chattanooga. i looked up all the species of frogs/ toads in tennessee on the .gov website and didn't see any frogs that resembled this one. i figured it was a baby tree frog or something, as i live near a pond... but... all the baby tree frogs here are brownish gold or greenish colored. i'm confused.. so if there's a frog guru on here, please help haha! also, i'm really looking into getting a frog enclosure to go along with my other herps... i REALLY love the dart frogs, but i've heard stories that are completely opposite. some say that they're virtually toxin free when they're captive bred, as they don't have that certain insect in their diet that gives them their super powers. i've also heard that they're still somewhat potent no matter what. and then i've heard all the darts are okay except one is harmful to humans; the golden dart frog. please shed some light on this for me. id really like to diversify my collection of herps, as this is becoming a full time hobby and is already a full time passion. thanks!
    Snakeums
    1.1 Mojave - Skullee and Skullette
    0.2 Blue Eyed Lucies

Lizards
    1.1 Bearded Dragon - Molten and Storm

Kitties
    0.1 Black Tabby - Misty
    1.0 Silver Tabby - Itty Bitty
    1.0 Gray Tabby - Amos

Pups
    0.1 Apple Head Chihuahua - Lily

Thanks
    What does its feet look like are they webbed with long toes or are they like suction cups? I live down in Ringgold btw
    Last edited by nick1; 09-21-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Google image gray tree frog and see if you don't see something that looks similar. That's my best guess going from the description.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: help with identifying a frog please?

Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com