Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,452

3 members and 3,449 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

How do you get over the fear of being BIT?

You all give me honest answers? Should you wear gloves? Handle daily? I'm getting one next month sometime..I had one about a year ago and she was great..I had to get rid of her..but I still had that fear...Now i'm back to gain knowledge! lol

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    Honestly most of the fear should disappear when you actually get bit because then you'll realize that the bites are nothing but a quick pinch. I still do get startled when they move quickly though, but I've learned their movements so I can pretty much tell who is going to strike and who isn't as soon as I open up the tubs.

Now if wearing gloves is what makes you comfortable then by means. Eventually I'm sure you'll get over that fear factor. Another way to avoid getting bit is to grab them either from behind or the side. If they're snappy, trying to grab them head on is a great way to get bit. But I promise it's nothing. It's more blood than anything.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks

Re: How do you get over the fear of being BIT?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeEye View Post
    Honestly most of the fear should disappear when you actually get bit because then you'll realize that the bites are nothing but a quick pinch. I still do get startled when they move quickly though, but I've learned their movements so I can pretty much tell who is going to strike and who isn't as soon as I open up the tubs.

Now if wearing gloves is what makes you comfortable then by means. Eventually I'm sure you'll get over that fear factor. Another way to avoid getting bit is to grab them either from behind or the side. If they're snappy, trying to grab them head on is a great way to get bit. But I promise it's nothing. It's more blood than anything.
    cool!! lol how many times have you been bitten?

Thanks
    Fear is all in your head and the best way to get pass that is to face it really. Bites are annoying but they're not that bad to make you avoid you precious babies, but if you feel like wearing gloves to make you "feel" comfortable then by all means do it. You might also want to invest in an adjustable snake hook though I only see those being useful on larger snakes, and try not to smell like something that would be considered food. Try not to go after them head on that spooks them so best come from the side. =3 but once you get them out they should be fine and the more you handle the less likely they should get defensive.

And always be confident, like they say animals can read emotions and will react to it on occasion.
    If you're are not going to stand behind the soldiers, feel free to stand in front of them.

Collection:
    1 Blood Python. (Benito)
    1 Normal Ball Python (Breda)
    1 Coastal Carpet Python (Richthofen)
    1 Siamese/Tabby Cat (Junkers)

Thanks
    I agree with SnakeEye, and would perhaps add getting a snake hook if you're really having trouble getting your snake out of its tank/tub. Another thought, let him bite you and be done with it. It will demystify the experience in your mind.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks
    you all are awesome lol

Thanks
    i guess if you get bit enough times, you eventually loose the fear of it... despite being very careful, i've been tagged a few times, not really painful, but it's not fun either.
    1.0 pied
    0.1 spider het pied
    0.1 normal het pied
    1.0 pinstripe het albino
    0.1 albino
    0.3 normal het albino
    1.2 cinnamon
    0.1 lesser
    0.1 bumblebee
    0.1 pastel
    0.2 normal

Thanks
    I have only had that fear from one bp, my normal when I first got her. The fear stemmed from her behavior of always being in feeding mode and striking at anything that moved. A hunger strike/constriction really freaked me out, as she was decent size of 1000grams. I just spent extra time during feedings with her, for one month I would tap the left side of her enclosure with feeding tongs (3 times), open it up and tap the floor on left side (3 times), then offer her the f/t meal. Then any time I wanted/needed to get her out I would approach from the right (no tapping). She picked up on this very quickly and even if shes in hunger mode she quickly realizes daddy just wants to hold her. Worked wonders with my initial fears, and now were best friends (I still do the taps even tho she doesn't need it anymore)

As for defensive strikes/tags... Up until 3 days ago I could have said never happened to me nor ever worried about it. But my beautiful enchi baby girl dang near jumped out of my hands striking at my gf. And I guess since she missed she got mad at me and turned around and tagged my finger. Actually took a few seconds for me to realize she tagged me, just felt like a pinch, absolutely nothing to be worried or afraid of Actually my bearded dragon who thought my thumb was dinner hurt way more and drew way more blood. lol
    0.1 Enchi (Skye)
    0.1 Pastel (Edi)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Elsa)
    0.1 Clown (Star)
    0.1 het Pied (Cora)
    1.0 Lemonblast (Mufasa)
    1.0 Butter Pastel (Butters)
    1.0 Pied (Spuds)
    1.0 Pastel het clown (Biff)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yup. You get over the fear of being bit when you get tagged the first time ans realize it doesnt hurt.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Thanks for the replies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast