Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

1 members and 3,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Unhappy Need advice on a rescue BP

I work at a chain petstore and have inevitably taken home too many animals because their living conditions and care are atrocious. My most recent rescue was a couple month old BP. I know he/she is at least four months old. I'm just going to go with "he" from here on out...
    He has been "strikey" since he came into work and therefore avoided by most associates. He had trouble with his first shed at the store and had eye caps left on. He was also kept in a class tank with an overhead heat lamp instead of a UTH. He barely ate as a result and was eating PINKIES so obviously hes super skinny!!! I mentioned this to people but then I guess someone gave him too large of prey and he prolapsed (mildly apparently) so was taken to the vet and it turns out he had worms too! When he came back from the vet he was freaked out and was striking like crazy at everything (still blinded by the eyecaps!) and struck the glass until his mouth was bloody and presumably he broke his fangs. He was treated for worms and then the special directions for his care for the next month was to soak him for 15 min each morning and night. I recently switched into the petcare department from register and in the two days that I was "training" for the switch i helped him work off his eye caps (he had a second shed and the first shed still hadn't come off). I noticed that you could hear him breathing and he sounded kind of wheezey. I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that his shed is still incomplete (his chin still has some shed) or if he has a URI.

He has not struck since I brought him home 9/2/14. I offered him a fresh-killed prey item that was about as big as the thickest part of his body two days later on thursday and he ate it pretty quickly. He is in a 20L glass tank with several hides and a UTH. I have a water dish on both sides to allow for enough humidity and about half of the top is covered. Substrate is paper towels because I want to keep an eye on a possible return of the prolapse.
    I'm a college student on a budget so much of his decor is just leftovers and things we switch out from the 3yr old rescue Ball and my baby corn but it does the trick.

I was planning on feeding him every 5 days on the same sized prey for a while and very gradually work up because I'm worried about further prolapse! I'm monitoring his breathing and I have not heard it since last week. He does not lift his head up or have any mucus visible but i dont bother him too much because I know he's stressed.

Any advice or input?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts
    It sounds like you're doing the best that you can under the circumstances. Since this guy did have a prolapse I'd feed every 7-10 days instead of every five, or drop back a prey size to 3/4 body width, until you're certain it's healed up. Also make sure he stays humid, apparently dehydration is also a cause of prolapse, and it will help with his shedding.

Thanks

Re: Need advice on a rescue BP

Thanks! I will bump up his humidity and be careful about the prey size!