Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

2 members and 3,172 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Black Lights (Party Lights) and Reptiles...?

Alrighty guys and girls,

I’ve been struggling to find any conclusive information to confirm or refute this. I’ve been toying with the idea of using a black light tube (like those used for parties, posters, laser tag) for my ball python’s enclosure when I get him/her, as he/she will likely be an Ivory or Lucy, and as such might look super awesome fluorescing under a black light. However, I do not want to do anything that will hurt or stress him/her in any way.

The research I have been doing has implied that these black “party” lights (either BL or BLB bulbs) can or might cause some eye damage to humans due to the medium UV wavelengths they put out, and that children in particular are more susceptible to this retinal damage as their lenses have not yellowed at all due to age.

I know that “full-spectrum” UV lights are used for other reptiles who are not nocturnal and do need UV. And that full spectrum, I imagine, would include the medium wavelengths in your average BL/BLB bulb?

So…

Does anyone have experience using a BL/BLB bulb with a reptile/ball python?

Does anyone know more than I do regarding the details of retinal damage to reptiles from these bulbs, or full-spectrum bulbs for that matter?

Any other general info about the BL/BLB bulbs would be appreciated; I’m not finding too much that is scholarly. Thanks!

Thanks
    Can't find anything particularly scholarly specifically about the effects of a blacklight on reptiles, but it seems to be fairly agreed-upon knowledge that BLB lights are unsafe for reptiles -- including BPs.

The issue with a BLB bulb (This goes for humans and animals alike, though humans generally have a higher resistance) is that the wavelengths is short enough that it doesn't cause the pupils to contract, and therefore can essentially burn out the eyes over an extended period of time. The reason that full spectrum lights don't have a similar problem is that they're just that -- full spectrum. The full spectrum of light DOES cause the pupils to react, and has little chance of harming the eyes.

Now, a BL tube is supposedly safe -- but keep in mind that a BL tube isn't going to produce the same effect as a BLB poster light, but will rather look more like the light of a bug zapper (Which uses the same type of technology). This means that it will be fairly bright, and will be a blue-white colour. An incandescent BL tube should have no purple/black filter like a BLB bulb will, so if you still decide to go that route, be careful what you buy because a lot of places don't expect people to know the difference and the labeling can get mixed up.

Also do keep in mind that BL tubes generally get VERY hot, and that could mess with your temperature readings and could dry out your tank if you aren't careful.

Hope I could help!

Thanks
    Thanks very much kiasyd, that was quite helpful.

I sorta figured it would not be the best idea. Too bad…. I know that scorpions fluoresce under black light, and corals… and a lot of coral tank owners seem to run lights wmake them fluoresce constantly. I wonder if that’s bad for people eyes.