Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

1 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KILLER

Thanks
    Today was the first day that I fed my BP two mice instead of one. She ate the first one like normal. Striking at thin air as soon as I put her in her feed tank. Then I offered a second mice. She wasn't sure at first, but after doing the mouse dance she decided to take it. The strike didn't seem to be as intense as the first. The reason I fed tow instead of one is because she really doesn't seem to be affected by just one. It seems like it just doesn't feel her up. She is only 20 inchs long, but she has a great feeding response. And the small adult mice just don't cut it. I don't want to go fatter, but just more. So should I go with one bigger mouse or go with the smaller two? She eats every 5-6 days.

Thanks
    Well, I don't know this from personal experience, however it is normally recommended that you feed 1 large item instead of mulitple smaller ones.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    theres absolutely no scientific proof to determine that theres any difference between either feeding style

the only thing that can really make a difference is if two multiple prey items equal a higher caloric intake than one large prey item. The only known benefit that comes to my mind is that scientifically, a mouse has a higher calcium content than rats, but you're talking about feeding multiple mice....so its not really applicable.
    - Jason

1.1 Ball Pythons + ?? in a rack
    1.1 Corn Snake (m: Snow, f: LL Okeetee)
    0.1 Columbian Red Tailed Boa
    0.1 Rose Hair Tarauntula
    1 Emperor Scorpian
    1 Madagascar Hissing Cockaroach
    8.48 mice + lots'o'babies
    14.42 rats + lots'o'babies
    My basements quickly becoming a zoo full of secret projects :o

Thanks
    i like to feed 1 big prey instead of 2 smaller. although, im stuck feeding my BP 2 adult mice since he wont take rats
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Jase, mice and rats are nutritionally equal, except rats are a tad more fatty. Adult mice and adult rats have the same calcium levels. Just like a weaned rat and a weaned mouse have the same nutritional qualities, just one is bigger than the other. And yes, as said above, it is recommended to just feed one prey item that is 1-1.5x the size of the widest part of your snake. In multiple prey items there is just alot more surface area than a single prey item. More surface area= more undigested hair, and other material that the snake just passes anyway. So why not just feed one item so there is more digestability.

Just my $0.02
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    gah, i cant find the site at the moment

but i had a website where a scientist did a freelance bone density test and a calcium level test from the bones of 25 adult mice, and 25 adult rats, the mice contained on average a 14.7% higher calcium content, i've also read this on countless other site, but i'll digress my arguement since at the moment i cant find the scientific evidence to support my previous statements
    - Jason

0.1 Rose Hair Tarauntula
    1 Emperor Scorpian

Thanks

X Prize

Thanks for the info. i will feed one large prey and see how it goes. I just don't understand, she is a digesting machine. I fed her two days ago and already she looks like she is ready again. I know just because she looks it does mean she is ready. Al she did for the last day and a half is sit in her hid. Now she is back out looking around. Has anyone had a BP like this?

Thanks
    Mine doesn't really come out (that I see) of his hide. However, every time I open the lid he will poke his head out a couple inches to see what's going on. I actually think it's pretty cute. =)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TONYDM41684
    Thanks for the info. i will feed one large prey and see how it goes. I just don't understand, she is a digesting machine. I fed her two days ago and already she looks like she is ready again. I know just because she looks it does mean she is ready. Al she did for the last day and a half is sit in her hid. Now she is back out looking around. Has anyone had a BP like this?
    well my smaller BP named Fat Bastard has affectionately earned that name....its funny, in between feedings i feel like i'm starving him. He'll eat giant adult mice easily(and for a 23inch BP, thats not too bad - IMO)...only catch is, within two days of eating, he's back on the prowl.
    - Jason

0.1 Rose Hair Tarauntula
    1 Emperor Scorpian

Thanks
    YES, that is just like Penny. She is only 20 inches long, but I completely understand. When she gets another 3inches, in a month or so, she should be hitting large adult mice. Now she eats every 5 days, sometimes 6. And she has never ever not taking a meal. Its is very nice not having to deal with feeding problems like my other BP I have had in the past. Every BP should eat like this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast