Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

1 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Is hook training completely necessary

The times I accidently fell asleep w her out she never left or moved... Maybe some snakes do.. My boa never left. I even keep her out when I'm doing things around the house never tried to escape, always watching, not once has she tried

Thanks
    I use a hook and I'll give an instance that might show you how useful it can be... Both of my boas are very laid back and not aggressive, except at feeding time. When they are in feeding mode, they will strike at the side of the tub / top of the tub when they see motion, even from me, and even with no food present (so basically at night). Normally I do not handle them at night so it's no problem because I avoid it.

However, last night when doing my evening checks, I noticed that my youngest boa had defecated in his cage and it needed to be cleaned. Sure enough, he was in food mode, watching me move around the cage and when my hand went near the latch, he struck. I carefully removed the top of the tub, used the hook and rubbed his neck for apx. 2 seconds and he instantly went out of food mode, went into his hide, and then I was able to pick him up without any striking, put him in a holding container, and clean his cage.

In this situation, the hook kept me from possibly getting bitten and made things less stressful on the boa.

I think sometimes people misconstrue hook training as picking the snake up with the hook.. It is simply used to rub / pet the snake when you first open the cage to wake them up and let them know that they will be handled.. Sort of a method to let them know that you aren't a threat and that you aren't feeding them. I believe that I could care for my snakes without the hook, but I feel that it's a safeguard and makes situations like the one above easier.

Of course, it is your choice and it isn't necessary... Do whatever works for you and the snake. That said, your boa looks great in the pic, but I agree with the other poster that napping with your snake might be a bad idea (people have had them slither off and get coiled in the washing machine, etc. and lost for months).
    Last edited by artgecko; 09-04-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-04-2014),Gio (09-04-2014),Shann (09-04-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    I would start hook training. My biggest girl (a 2011 that is about 6.5 feet and 8lbs) started getting extremely cage aggressive this past winter. It was to the point that I was almost considering rehoming her because I didn't know how to handle her! After chatting with a few other boa keepers, I decided to give hook training a shot. Even though I still don't trust Pandora, she is a LOT more manageable now! I have even started hook training all of my younger boas and even a few adult balls that instantly go into feeding mode when I open the tubs!

Yes, it is an extra step in the routine, but it is a lot safer and less stressful on both you and your boa.
    ~Marissa~

Thanks
    My female boa, Figment, is hook trained. For her sake as well as mine. She is a wonderfully sweet boa - out of the cage. Inside, she is frequently in feeding mode. I tap her head with the hook to let her know she isn't getting fed, and reach in and pull her out. Without this step, she would almost certainly bite me. She is now three years old and over five feet. I definitely don't want her to bite me if I can avoid it, and it's good for her too. I started hook training her when she was still small though, just to make it easier as an adult.

Is hook training necessary? I would say it depends on the snake. I have handled boas that are fine just being pulled out of the cage, but Figment is not one of those boas. Once out, she is amazing. Hook training just makes the process of getting her out easier less stressful for both of us.
    Last edited by Shann; 09-04-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    -Shann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post
    I would start hook training. My biggest girl (a 2011 that is about 6.5 feet and 8lbs) started getting extremely cage aggressive this past winter. It was to the point that I was almost considering rehoming her because I didn't know how to handle her! After chatting with a few other boa keepers, I decided to give hook training a shot. Even though I still don't trust Pandora, she is a LOT more manageable now! I have even started hook training all of my younger boas and even a few adult balls that instantly go into feeding mode when I open the tubs!

Yes, it is an extra step in the routine, but it is a lot safer and less stressful on both you and your boa.
    Not to hijack the thread, but that's why some people use separate feeding tanks/cages. Now back to the subject. People pick up rattlesnakes and relics bare handed, doesn't mean I would. Kept Boas for 15+ years before my accident. Some needed the assistance of a hook some didn't. Got balls now, still keep a small hook around just in case. And I not sure snakes can be trained, maybe more conditioned. Just my opinion, and everybody knows what an opinion is worth
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 09-04-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks

At feeding time she shows no sign of aggressiveness, I feed her in a separate container, she doesn't even strike at the thawed rat.. She WI only eat when I close the lid and leave the room

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnake21 View Post
    At feeding time she shows no sign of aggressiveness, I feed her in a separate container, she doesn't even strike at the thawed rat.. She WI only eat when I close the lid and leave the room
    Must be nice. My boas are all on a 2-3 week feeding schedule while my BP's in the same room get fed weekly. Several of the boas will strike the glass at any sign of movement if I'm thawing feeders.

Thanks

Mine never striked the glass or nothing... I only feed her thawed!

Thanks

Doesn't wanna go in her tank yet lol.. It's 10min to midnight

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Must be nice. My boas are all on a 2-3 week feeding schedule while my BP's in the same room get fed weekly. Several of the boas will strike the glass at any sign of movement if I'm thawing feeders.
    I thought I was the only one!
    ~Marissa~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12