Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,486

0 members and 2,486 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First Hatchlings care questions

I know most people on here are BP owners but I assume most of the stuff transfers over for hatchlings of all species. I just got 22 BRB babies today and I wanted to double check a couple things and have this thread to ask more questions I might get along the way.

So I was told no need to feed until after the first shed. Is that correct?
    And some people said the keep them all in one bin until the first shed then they seperate. Is tht something that is better to do or just preference?

For those that feed F/T I was told that for hatchlings you should stil do the first 2 or 3 feeding with live before you try f/t because they might not like te F/t as easily. What are your preferences? Do you sart with F/T or do live first?

Also any tips appreciated and if I have more questions I will post here. Pics will come soon just also moving this weekend so juggling stuff right now.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    Thanked 9,876 Times in 4,784 Posts
    Congrats! That's a nice litter.

BRB's are very different from BP's. You will want to separate your BRB's immediately into individual tubs. I put a layer of cypress mulch in it just thick enough so the babies can burrow in and hide.

Also, there's usually no problem with getting them to eat. Mine took their first meal before their first shed, at two days old - 21 of 25 ate, and two of the ones that didn't eat that day were born very underdeveloped due to a twisted umbilicus so they ended up being assist-fed. My supplier only had live mouse pinkies, not fuzzies, on hand due to a big order the day before mine that cleaned him out. Ten days later I offered fuzzies, then hoppers weekly after that, and after 3 hopper feedings most switched easily to f/t. Of 25 only 4 are left to switch.

I did have one that refused everything until I left him overnight with a f/t fuzzy. So, he never has eaten a live feeder, go figure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: First Hatchlings care questions

Congratulations!! I do not work with BRBs, but I'll tell you what we do for our Colombian BCI....

Quote Originally Posted by vangarret2000 View Post
    I know most people on here are BP owners but I assume most of the stuff transfers over for hatchlings of all species. I just got 22 BRB babies today and I wanted to double check a couple things and have this thread to ask more questions I might get along the way. You may already be aware of this, but for others' sakes, boas are referred to as neonates. They are not hatchlings. Boas give birth to live young.

So I was told no need to feed until after the first shed. Is that correct? Yes.

And some people said the keep them all in one bin until the first shed then they seperate. Is tht something that is better to do or just preference? I like to keep the litter together and separate after shedding. I put them all in a 32qt tub full of very moist sphagnum moss that they can burrow into. The moss is a lot easier to keep moist, they can burrow, and it helps them shed more easily. The tub is half on heat on a t-stat. Once they shed, I separate into individual tubs.

For those that feed F/T I was told that for hatchlings you should stil do the first 2 or 3 feeding with live before you try f/t because they might not like te F/t as easily. What are your preferences? Do you start with F/T or do live first? I offer live for the first 2 feedings. I start them on mouse fuzzies and feed every 10 days. On the 3rd feeding, I will try f/t. They get live the next time if they don't take f/t. But I try f/t each feeding there after. They almost always accept f/t by the 4th feeding or so.

Also any tips appreciated and if I have more questions I will post here. Pics will come soon just also moving this weekend so juggling stuff right now.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 08-22-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-22-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Do neonates need to be given a temperature gradient or can they just be kept at one constant temp? I had shoe boxed sized containers for them to give a temp gradient but got a few more then expected so I was wondering if I could jus put some of the containers in one big cooler and keep that at one constant temp for them.

Thanks for the advice so far. I didn't know they should be seperated right away so I will do that. I just had them in two big containers at the moment. Do you just use the substaright then as a hide or do you still provide hides? What sized containers do you use for neonates?

I also forgot they are called neonates. Thanks for correcting me so I didnt. keep doing it.
    Always be Batman

Thanks

Mine are in a shoebox rack with back heat at 85*F, the front runs 76-77*F (room temp). I keep the 8-oz deli cups I use for water bowls toward the back to help with humidity, and they like to hide under them or between the cup and the back of the tub right after they've eaten, then a day or so later they'll burrow into the substrate up near the front. They don't have actual hides, they just burrow into the cypress.

Oh yeah, prepare to get nipped A LOT over the next few weeks, these little guys are defensive!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Mine are in a shoebox rack with back heat at 85*F, the front runs 76-77*F (room temp). I keep the 8-oz deli cups I use for water bowls toward the back to help with humidity, and they like to hide under them or between the cup and the back of the tub right after they've eaten, then a day or so later they'll burrow into the substrate up near the front. They don't have actual hides, they just burrow into the cypress.

Oh yeah, prepare to get nipped A LOT over the next few weeks, these little guys are defensive!
    Agreed! ^^^
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was actually surprised how little I got bit. 3 times when I first brought them out of the tank. Twice when I recounted them. And none when I moved them into their individual containers.

How long does it take them to generally have their first shed?
    Always be Batman

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I read a few sites that said for babies they should have it a little cooler then adults and only let it top out at about 80 instead of the the mid 80's-85 you would for adults. So I do that?
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    The back heat for mine is 84-85*F. I wouldn't run them any higher.

Expect a shed in 7-10 days.

Mine also weren't too nippy at first, but they really got going after their first meal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    The back heat for mine is 84-85*F. I wouldn't run them any higher.

Expect a shed in 7-10 days.

Mine also weren't too nippy at first, but they really got going after their first meal.
    Good. I was kinda disappointed when they weren't nipping.
    Always be Batman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast