Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

2 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Dumerils with IBD maybe???

So a year or so ago I traded my carpet python for a juv male Dumeril's boa with a guy on CL. He's great. Super nice personality, eats like a champ, no problems. Little flighty getting in and out of the cage but he's a dream to handle once he's out.

Anyway, a few times I go in and check on the snakes, and every now and then I'll catch this guy in a weird position. Sometimes he'll just be curled up with his head poking straight up, and others he'll look like he's trying to find a way out of the cage and then just...fall over backwards really really slowly. It was brought to my attention that one of the symptoms for IBD is stargazing and a lack of coordination. So naturally, I'm a bit worried.

Other than that, he's perfectly healthy. Never missed a meal, sheds no problem. He seems perfectly coordinated when I'm handling him, and can navigate his cage just fine most of the time. He's not dehydrated, hasn't lost weight, doesn't have any clogged orifaces, no head tremors, no regurgitation....Other than the occasional weird position/falling, he seems perfectly happy and healthy?

Do you think he's got IBD, or a different (and hopefully less serious) neurological issue? I don't plan on breeding him or anything.

Here are some pictures I've caught of him (yes, I know glass tanks are not optimal. He will be getting a new enclosure shortly):
    http://gyazo.com/d0249036264f35fe9649ca9b5e42dc69 (He's asleep in this photo. Literally out cold. He was like this for at least an hour)
    http://gyazo.com/fa9e8e26dae78eefe0f7f8aded0c4ef0
    http://gyazo.com/9853873644b69d841cd666e8574e9251
    http://gyazo.com/bf80762cb1772c087d73e620b4abc388
    http://gyazo.com/42cc409b6a48ca79c12729bd6b9063ec

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I'm not a vet and I haven't examined your critter. That said, I'm going to say no, especially if it's been years and he's been in the same room or area as your ball pythons for much of that time. BP's are kind of a "canary in the coal mine" for IBD, they succumb to it much faster than boas, so if your Dum had it when he arrived a year or more ago, then your BP's would likely all be dead by now.

I've noticed my boas are more likely to just sit and stare, enthralled, by anything in constant, repetitive motion in a room, especially my ceiling fans. Is there anything in your room that could be attracting his attention?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Dumerils with IBD maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'm not a vet and I haven't examined your critter. That said, I'm going to say no, especially if it's been years and he's been in the same room or area as your ball pythons for much of that time. BP's are kind of a "canary in the coal mine" for IBD, they succumb to it much faster than boas, so if your Dum had it when he arrived a year or more ago, then your BP's would likely all be dead by now.

I've noticed my boas are more likely to just sit and stare, enthralled, by anything in constant, repetitive motion in a room, especially my ceiling fans. Is there anything in your room that could be attracting his attention?
    Ball pythons can be asymptomatic just as long as boas.

There's a blood test for IBD. Take the snake to a qualified herp vet if you are concerned.

Thanks
    Hmm, I do have a ceiling fan that's usually on in that room. He's not directly under it and he doesn't seem to be looking at it, but I suppose it is possible. With cooler weather coming I'll be turning the fan off soon so I guess I'll see if that's what's got his attention.

There's a blood test for IBD. Take the snake to a qualified herp vet if you are concerned.
    Oh, that's good. I'll try to get that done then.