Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

0 members and 3,448 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Ball python eye issue - new owner

My son just got a ball python yesterday. It was evident that he had had difficulty shedding at some point before we got him and I knew that would be easy enough to take care of with a little soak and damp cloth. We did that and were able to remove all the old shed however his eyes still look funny, almost like a bubble over one of them. There were old shed pieces in the terrarium that he came in and the eye caps were intact with the head shed so I'm not sure what is going on. We already have 2 corns but this is our first ball so we are in unfamiliar territory. I read last night that it could be old eye caps so I used a damp q tip after we had soaked him and gently rolled it over it a few times but didn't want to mess with it any more than that since it didn't do anything after the first tries. The other eye looks different but still concerning. At the angle he is hanging in his enclosure I can't get a good picture yet. For now thought I've attached a few pictures of the eye I was able to get a couple shots of if it helps. Thanks! [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,866 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Looks to me like in the first two pictures he's just in blue, but it could be the lighting and angle. His eye looks fine in the bottom picture. I wouldn't mess with it, just concentrate on keeping his humidity correct so his next shed is better.

Thanks
    My son took him out as soon as he got home so I was able to get a couple better pics. Thanks again. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    I agree some of the pics look like he is going to shed, some of the others not so much

Thanks
    Thanked 9,866 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Thanks, the better pics do show retained eyecaps.

Personally I still wouldn't mess with them, but that's because it's easy to damage they eyes if you don't know what you're doing and you aren't careful. Just keep his humidity up, or if you're having problems with that since he's in a tank, give him a humid hide. He may very well get rid of them himself in a few days, if not they should come off at his next shed.

Thanks
    I got in touch with the guy who we got her from and apparently it has been over a month since he last shed. I was told that he is 4-5 months old and that he had been feed every Thursday so I'm hoping that he is just getting ready to shed. Anything we should do to help the little guy along with the shed (if that's what it is. We have been misting his enclosure to help with the humidity. Should we also saran wrap the top or do a moist hide for him? Poor guy still had old shed stuck all over him when we brought him home.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ball python eye issue - new owner

yes the wrap should help. when I had my tank set up I used eco earth for substrate. I misted it every day and during shed I made it very damp but not soaking. and I used a towel over the top. but the wrap should do ok. keep the humidity up and see what they look like after the next shed.