Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

1 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Messing with a new light tent

I just bought a light tent and was trying out a few pics. I don't have a great camera to start with and I certainly need to iron the background to get rid of the folds. The bulbs they included causes the snake to shimmer iridescently. Everything seems to have a light blue hue. Then with the flash it seem to over expose it. The two that look very orange are with a flash. Guess I will have to keep playing with it. Anyways here are a few pics. The true color of the snake is closer to the pictures with the flash on.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    I prefer th ones that don't look overexposed . The snake speaks for itself, despite the quality of the photo !!
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to h00blah For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (08-30-2014)

Thanks

Wink

A little Photoshop can go a long way when it comes to fixing lighting and exposure problems! That IS what it was originally meant for, after all! Then again, maybe not everyone is as into photo-editing as I am. Used some exposure correction, some tonal filters, a little bit of fiddling with the contrast, and a quick pass through a sharpening tool. I tried to match the cloth background to something similar to the colour in the flash pictures as best as I could, so hopefully that colour is a little more accurate than the original?
    Last edited by kiasyd; 08-30-2014 at 04:11 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiasyd For This Useful Post:

h00blah (08-30-2014),rlditmars (08-30-2014)

Thanks

Re: Messing with a new light tent

Quote Originally Posted by h00blah View Post
    I prefer th ones that don't look overexposed . The snake speaks for itself, despite the quality of the photo !!
    Thank you. It is a leopard pin that I picked up from Jon at Cold Blooded Addiction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiasyd View Post

A little Photoshop can go a long way when it comes to fixing lighting and exposure problems! That IS what it was originally meant for, after all! Then again, maybe not everyone is as into photo-editing as I am. Used some exposure correction, some tonal filters, a little bit of fiddling with the contrast, and a quick pass through a sharpening tool. I tried to match the cloth background to something similar to the colour in the flash pictures as best as I could, so hopefully that colour is a little more accurate than the original?
    Wow! That is really good and looks very much like the actual colors. I need me some Photoshop if I want to do the animals any justice. Thanks for showing me what can be done.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

kiasyd (08-30-2014)

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I just bought a light tent and was trying out a few pics. I don't have a great camera to start with and I certainly need to iron the background to get rid of the folds. The bulbs they included causes the snake to shimmer iridescently. Everything seems to have a light blue hue. Then with the flash it seem to over expose it. The two that look very orange are with a flash. Guess I will have to keep playing with it. Anyways here are a few pics. The true color of the snake is closer to the pictures with the flash on.

Thanks for looking.
    One of the easiest things you can do is adjust the white balance on your camera. See if your camera has a custom white balance option. If it does, place a piece of white paper in the tent and take a picture of that. Tell your camera that the picture you took contains true white. That will allow your camera to make a big correction for you. Another option is to get something like a WhiBal card to help you correct the pictures after you take them. I am still just learning about photography, so there are members here who could probably give you more/better advise, but if you want to look at the impact that light temperature has on colors, you can look at this thread I started, http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?211064-Light-Temperature-and-Pictures. I used a WhiBal card to correct for the different light temperatures. You can learn about WhiBal cards here http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html. Hope you have fun with the light kit and look forward to seeing what you show us.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (08-30-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slowcountry Balls View Post
    One of the easiest things you can do is adjust the white balance on your camera. See if your camera has a custom white balance option. If it does, place a piece of white paper in the tent and take a picture of that. Tell your camera that the picture you took contains true white. That will allow your camera to make a big correction for you. Another option is to get something like a WhiBal card to help you correct the pictures after you take them. I am still just learning about photography, so there are members here who could probably give you more/better advise, but if you want to look at the impact that light temperature has on colors, you can look at this thread I started, http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?211064-Light-Temperature-and-Pictures. I used a WhiBal card to correct for the different light temperatures. You can learn about WhiBal cards here http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html. Hope you have fun with the light kit and look forward to seeing what you show us.
    Thanks. Very cool comparative photos and great information.