Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

1 members and 2,858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Grrrr. Herp Vet rant

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Sometimes vets will throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. Seems like they'll mention everything that a snake MIGHT have at any point in it's life, before they figure out what's actually wrong.

I once had a vet ask me if seahorses were actually real, then five minutes later tell me i had to bring the sick seahorse in so she could examine it before she would give me meds for it. I asked her what exactly she would be able to tell me since she not only didn't know seahorse specific issues, but didn't even know they actually EXISTED ten minutes ago.
    What was the vets response? I had a similar issue. I was told I could bring in my chameleon. Once in the examining room, that's when they asked me what a chameleon was.
    Always be Batman

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vangarret2000 For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

It is not uncommon for herp vets to prescribe medication without examining the animal. Reasons for this may be:

1. Prior familiarity with the animal.
    2. Prior familiarity with the owner and their collection.
    3. Realization that the stress of an examination may outweigh the benefits of testing.
    4. Realization that many diseases in reptiles have overlapping therapies.
    5. Dealing with venomous animals owned by experienced owners.

Many of the tests that vets try during a diagnosis do not definitely point to a singular cause. An RI is not a blockage or an impaction. An RI is an RI. However many common reptile diseases are bacterial in nature. Therefore one therapy may cover several bases.

Many reputable herp vets will make a house call in full realization that the stress of the exam may worsen the condition of the snake. A snake suffering from stress and the imbalances it causes to it's immune system may be put into further decline after a car ride and a ten minute groping by a vet. That's why a REAL herp vet will recommend a house call, in which they can minimize stress and also see first hand whether husbandry may be a causative factor.

Having said all of this, many herp vets are not really herp vets. Finding a reputable and experience herp vet is an endeavor worth the time and effort.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 09-01-2014 at 12:20 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-01-2014),SteveySingle (09-01-2014),wolfy-hound (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vangarret2000 View Post
    What was the vets response? I had a similar issue. I was told I could bring in my chameleon. Once in the examining room, that's when they asked me what a chameleon was.

They said I could come in anytime and get the meds. When I went in, I brought several photos, including a photo of the seahorse in question. They were interested but more in the manner of "COol, I've never seen them..." so I'm not sure they would ever be interested in treating fish(much less "mythical" fish). One lady actually said "Wow, so they live under water? Like fish? How do they breathe?" Ummm. They're fish. Just weird looking ones.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12