Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,196

1 members and 1,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Supplemental Heating in a Tub Enclosure - Beyond the UTH

Hello, world! First timer here.

I did a bit of researching through the care sheets and a few others posts. It looks like my question has been asked in some other threads (not as the main topic,) but with mixed answers. I'm looking for the final word on this one. Anyway, here 'goes...

I'm setting up a tub enclosure for my future ball python. I've used a tank setup in the past, but I want to be able to use a tub for its ability to retain humidity and to provide an environment that allows the snake to feel less vulnerable. Right now, the tub's ambient temperature is at 84* F. The basking side is set to 92* F on the thermostat and the basking thermometer reads 90* F on the nose! Not bad for a first run! But my concern is that this may not be easily-maintained in the future. In the summer, my room hits a high of about 78* F, but it can drop down considerably in the winter. I don't want to have a situation where I'll be panicking about the temperature, I want to be prepared for it!

I've seen a few people write that an additional heater isn't necessary, but I strongly disagree and this is where I need your help. The bottom line is that if the ambient temperature falls too low, then there's a problem. If the snake isn't comfortable, then neither am I. I want to have measures in place so that in the event that the temperature drops below 80* F, I can bring it back up quickly and safely.

I've heard of people adding heat lamps via a stand or clamps - does anyone have a link or something that they can provide for one of these fixtures? Any pictures or examples?

I'm not crazy about putting in an additional UTH because I'll lose my temperature gradient.

Are there any other methods for going about this? Suggestions? ... Criticisms?

Thank you all in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Personally, I went with one of these - http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermos...stat-prewired/ - and one of these - http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRH07...ywords=trh0715 - to keep the temperatures up when the weather starts to cool.

There are a bunch of other solutions, but I went with this one so I can control the entire snake room's temperature rather than each enclosure individually.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Re: Supplemental Heating in a Tub Enclosure - Beyond the UTH

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Personally, I went with one of these - http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermos...stat-prewired/ - and one of these - http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRH07...ywords=trh0715 - to keep the temperatures up when the weather starts to cool.

There are a bunch of other solutions, but I went with this one so I can control the entire snake room's temperature rather than each enclosure individually.
    Ah, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I'm not certain if this is best for my needs.

This little guy is going to be a pet only and I don't have any intentions of acquiring more snakes. He'll be kept in my bedroom and I'm looking to have just his habitat temperature/humidity regulated rather than the whole room.

Thanks

Re: Supplemental Heating in a Tub Enclosure - Beyond the UTH

You and I were/are in the same boat, and these are the two solutions I personally found ideal for when you DON'T want to heat an entire room with a space heater. Perhaps one will work for you!

1. Here was my original post on the issue. This was the response I ultimately followed. Cut a hole in the top of your tub, cover it with wire mesh, and put a CHE fixture (attached to a lamp dimmer!) on top of the mesh. I put the CHE over the cool side of the tank, and it stayed around 78 on the bottom of the tank when the rest of my apartment barely got to 70! The problem with this option is the CHE will drain your humidity. During the winter, you may need to implement one or more of the many measures of improving humidity in order to keep your levels up. You may also want a second tub lid without the hole for the summer months when your temps are OK. Here's a pic of my current set-up:

2. The "higher budget" option involves two separate UTHs, each connected to separate thermostats. Have the "hot side" UTH and t-stat set to your basking temps, and have the "cool side" UTH set so it stays around 80 on the bottom of the tank. This may not keep your upper-tub temps high, but it'll give you heat and a gradient where it counts! If you don't want two separate thermostats, you can splurge and go with something like the Herpstat 2, which monitors two separate devices in a single thermostat.

Anyways, I considered a couple other options on the original post. You may find something else works best for your set-up - these were just the best options for mine. Good luck!
    Last edited by thejennabird; 08-26-2014 at 03:09 AM.