Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,521

1 members and 2,520 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question about breedeing

Sorry for my bad english please, i hope You understand me for this...

I want to breed ball pythons, i have a male and my friend have a females, my male living in rack system from the start of his life, and my friend's females in terrarium, is it ok if i put females in my rack system, and after month or two i just put my male in tubs of females? Is there any reason for female that will not mate because of that? Or i must put male to female teritory? (Terrarium) and maybe he will not want to eat or breed because of that?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Question about breedeing

I generally put pairs in whichever is the larger enclosure. But mixing it up can work too.

However you need to think about quarantine really seriously.

Also get used to checking for low pressure fronts coming in as the weather can have a great effect on encouraging breeding.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quarantining is definitely important. 60-90 days is a good rule of thumb before introducing the snakes. Even putting them in the same room can be a bad idea. Once you have done that you can introduce them. Typically people put the male in the female's tub for 3 days, then take the male out for three days. That will help reduce stress on the snakes.

Thanks

Aha, ok... But what is your's opinion, is ok to put female in my rack, in other tub, but just in same rack? I just want to my male stay in rack, not to take him in terrarium to female.

Thanks

Well, you need to quarantine the female first for 60-90 days minimum. THEN you are welcome to put her in the same rack as your male...after she's finished with quarantine. When you breed them, you only need to put them together for 2-3 days at a time once a week in order to breed successfully. If I see a lock, I don't pair that female until the following month. If you don't see a lock, I pair weekly.