Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

4 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks

thinking of getting a water monitor

I use to have a Savannah and miss monitors. I've been doing research on water dragons and want one now. Lol. My question is I heard they can be really dosile. Plus they get huge which is a plus. Lol. Anyone here have one.? I could really use some input on how they are around kids and do they bite a lot or are they good pets?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I can promise you at least a portion of bites come from "puppy dog tame" monitors. Mood swings are real, accidents can happen. I personally think it's a horrible idea to mix children and something that can cause horrendous damage in the blink of an eye.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moni...bites&tbm=isch

I think you should build the adult enclosure first if you decide to get one. If you provide for it right you'll be needing that enclosure sooner than you probably think anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (08-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I cannot think of a monitor that I would want to trust around children. Period. As much as I love my monitors, I would never ever allow kids around them.

I would allow kids around some tegu lizards, depending on the lizard and the kid, maybe.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    I find Vital Exotics care sheet to be a pretty crucial read for getting into large monitors. http://www.vitalexotics.com/water-mo...on-care-sheet/
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks
    I also wouldn't trust my boy around kids without head and tail restrained. I do the same with my pythons though, always control the head around small kids. The animals might be completely fine with you but one incorrect or misplaced move that isn't apart of their normal registry of "safe" can land a defensive bite. Also, if your monitors aren't tong trained it's very likely that moving fingers look like food to them. My boy really only feels safe with me and he gets very defensive whenever we do a tour of the animals for friends and family. They seem like such hardcore animals but they are really sensitive to unfamiliar sounds and movements.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks
    There is a difference between having kids and responsibly owning a monitor or any large reptile for that matter and letting your kids just free handle it. I wouldn't let any large lizard free roam around my son, that doesn't mean he can't safely interact with it though. You as the parent need to make sure the safety checks are all in place. I am even catious with guarding the head of my Blueys when my son holds them (bites are incredibly rare, but they have some power in their jaws and he is only 6), the same will go for my Tegu when she gets some size on her and we really start to handle her. The only animal I don't block the head when my son is holding him is my childrens python, because lets be honest a tag from that lil worm won't do any damage. My son loves to hold every reptile we see, but I always go into it knowing that I have to be ready to take a bite from whatever it is.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was thinking of the kid issue after I posted. I have a three year old that loves reptiles but let's face it isn't that gentle sometimes. Lol. My bps are great with her but a monitor I won't chance till she's older. It's not fair for the monitor or the child.

Thanks

Re: thinking of getting a water monitor

I would really check out vital exotics care sheet as mentioned earlier. They get huge and to me anything less then a small room sized enclosure would be unacceptable. But if you read that care sheet and think you have enough room, time and money then go ahead. Only though if you can give them an appropriate size enclosure with proper heat. Afford to feed them (they eat like monsters) and enough time to interact with them and clean the enclosure almost daily. Then do it. I do want one myself when I can in the future. Good luck!
    Using Tapatalk