Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

2 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

At what age do they stop growing?

I'm considering adopting a colombian red tail boa on craigslist. The owner says he is 5 feet and 5 years old. He only gets 1 rat every 3 weeks. I say he still has some growing to do. If I adopted him and fed him one rat a week will he still reach 8-12 feet depending how long I keep that up? Or is it too late?
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    1.0 Reticulated Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Re: At what age do they stop growing?

They never stop growing, the rate at which they do just slows down with age.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

skinnyrascal (08-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    They never stop growing, the rate at which they do just slows down with age.
    That is good to know. I like to see snakes fed and grown to their full potential. It's what nature intended. People who underfeed their snakes to keep them small piss me off.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skinnyrascal For This Useful Post:

madmike88 (08-17-2014),Shann (08-19-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyrascal View Post
    That is good to know. I like to see snakes fed and grown to their full potential. It's what nature intended. People who underfeed their snakes to keep them small piss me off.

"The number one mistake most novices make is over-feeding. Boas evolved to sustain themselves on a minimal amount of food. You need to guard against over-feeding and obesity. Of course you don't want to starve your boas either, and the goal is to maintain a healthy weight. A young boa will thrive on a single meal that leaves a slight lump, once every ten to fourteen days. This regimen will produce a slow but steady growth rate that the animal can maintain itself on until adulthood." - The Complete Boa Constrictor by Vincent Russo
    1.0 Normal Ball
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Lemon Blast
    0.1 Lesser Pastel
    0.1 Ghost Corn Snake
    1.0 Butter Corn
    1.0 Hypo BCI
    0.1 Viper Boa
    1.0 JCP
    0.1 Hypo carrot-tail Leo

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dakonic For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (08-19-2014),Gio (08-17-2014),Shann (08-19-2014),stloria (08-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dakonic View Post
    "The number one mistake most novices make is over-feeding. Boas evolved to sustain themselves on a minimal amount of food. You need to guard against over-feeding and obesity. Of course you don't want to starve your boas either, and the goal is to maintain a healthy weight. A young boa will thrive on a single meal that leaves a slight lump, once every ten to fourteen days. This regimen will produce a slow but steady growth rate that the animal can maintain itself on until adulthood." - The Complete Boa Constrictor by Vincent Russo
    Exactly right. It is actually "almost" impossible to under feed a boa constrictor. There are many different views on feeding, but the accepted, healthy way to go for an adult boa has been stated.

I have given my growing boa meals that have been too large but not as a habit. The key when doing that is to recognize the snake will need a long break from eating. My boa has not eaten since July 27th. I will probably wait until September to feed him unless he is constantly hunting for food.

In the winter, adopting a seasonal light and temp drop can have your boa off food for most of the winter.

Does that sound bad? Well, also from THE COMPLETE BOA CONSTRICTOR, you see Vin Russo mention that boas will grow more in the period they are not eating than they will if they are in a constant state of eating, digesting, eliminating and shedding.

If you have a 5 year old adult male boa coming your way, DO NOT feed once a week. Find the appropriate sized prey and feed like the others have mentioned above.

Strong, muscular, lean, loaf shaped boas live the longest. "The boas that live the longest, get the biggest." (words from Gus Rentfro)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Dakonic (08-17-2014),Shann (08-19-2014),stloria (08-20-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Exactly right. It is actually "almost" impossible to under feed a boa constrictor. There are many different views on feeding, but the accepted, healthy way to go for an adult boa has been stated.

I have given my growing boa meals that have been too large but not as a habit. The key when doing that is to recognize the snake will need a long break from eating. My boa has not eaten since July 27th. I will probably wait until September to feed him unless he is constantly hunting for food.

In the winter, adopting a seasonal light and temp drop can have your boa off food for most of the winter.

Does that sound bad? Well, also from THE COMPLETE BOA CONSTRICTOR, you see Vin Russo mention that boas will grow more in the period they are not eating than they will if they are in a constant state of eating, digesting, eliminating and shedding.

If you have a 5 year old adult male boa coming your way, DO NOT feed once a week. Find the appropriate sized prey and feed like the others have mentioned above.

Strong, muscular, lean, loaf shaped boas live the longest. "The boas that live the longest, get the biggest." (words from Gus Rentfro)
    Okay I gotcha. I have a care guide on boas but it's kind of vague when it comes to how much and how often you should feed. I'm not desperate for a huge snake, I just don't want him to be stunted and underfed. I'd aim for strong, healthy and average.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python

11. The Following User Says Thank You to skinnyrascal For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    He could be, more or less, topped out at that size and age as 5-7 ft is average for male Colombian BCIs (which aren't technically "red tails"). What you don't want to do is stuff these guys with food to try to make them bigger: you'll end up with an unhealthy and obese snake with a shorter life span. I only feed my adult boas every 2-3 weeks as well and wouldn't never push a large/extra large/small rabbit on them every week: just not healthy IMO.

If you want a big snake get a species that gets big: just realize what you'll be getting into! Retics, Annies, Burms, Coastal carpets, Scrub python, true BCC boas, and BCOs are some suggestions. Even a female Colombian could get to around 8' but again, it depends on the individual on a healthy non-pushing feed schedule and it usually takes them many years to reach larger sizes.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

Dakonic (08-17-2014),Gio (08-17-2014),Pyrate81 (08-19-2014),stloria (08-20-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    He could be, more or less, topped out at that size and age as 5-7 ft is average for male Colombian BCIs (which aren't technically "red tails"). What you don't want to do is stuff these guys with food to try to make them bigger: you'll end up with an unhealthy and obese snake with a shorter life span. I only feed my adult boas every 2-3 weeks as well and wouldn't never push a large/extra large/small rabbit on them every week: just not healthy IMO.

If you want a big snake get a species that gets big: just realize what you'll be getting into! Retics, Annies, Burms, Coastal carpets, Scrub python, true BCC boas, and BCOs are some suggestions. Even a female Colombian could get to around 8' but again, it depends on the individual on a healthy non-pushing feed schedule and it usually takes them many years to reach larger sizes.
    I thought 8-10 feet was more like it? 5 feet seems very small...my female ball python might reach that size.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyrascal View Post
    I thought 8-10 feet was more like it? 5 feet seems very small...my female ball python might reach that size.
    8-10' is more for BCC and BCO boas, Colombian males are on average 5-7' (larger and smaller exceptions of course).
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    8-10' is more for BCC and BCO boas, Colombian males are on average 5-7' (larger and smaller exceptions of course).
    Yep,

One thing with Colombian males that are raised as pets, they can grow to the same size as females IF they are fed normally, and not exposed to female pheromones. I have exchanged some e-mails with Gus Renfro and he has stated that a lot of the small males you hear about are used for breeding and fed conservatively. This slightly contradicts what I posted earlier, but,,,, the amount of energy expended during pre breeding and breeding does take a toll on growth for a period of time. That said, if you feed appropriately and consider long term health of the snake, it will grow.

A five foot boa is nothing like a 5 foot royal python. The strength and activity level of a healthy boa far exceeds what the royal of close to the same size will have.

Growth can be accelerated through power feeding, but this is just like feeding a young child, huge amounts of bad calories. You'll have a kid that is bigger than the other kids, but it won't be muscle, it won't be mature, it will just be fat.

A 6-7 foot male Colombian boa or and 8 foot female is a very powerful snake. Once they get that lean muscle, they appear a lot larger than they really are.

I personally find the lean, loaf shape of a healthy boa constrictor one of the most spectacular, unique looks of all the snake species.

I have a coastal carpet python and a royal that I also enjoy, but the shape of the boa is something.

2 year old, 5 foot male. Produced by Rio Bravo Reptiles and sold to me by Legacy Reptiles who now own the Rio Bravo stock.

This snake is only now starting to get his girth and he's not done growing yet.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (08-19-2014),Pyrate81 (08-19-2014),Shann (08-18-2014),skinnyrascal (08-18-2014),stloria (08-20-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast