Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

2 members and 3,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Dreamsicle additions

Hello,

I am starting to plan my first breeding project so please take it easy on the newbie, just trying to learn ball python genetics. I will remain very patient with this hobby as I know it will take me several years to produce my first dreamsicle.

Just curious.......what other morphs can be added into the wonderful combination? I have seen that the pastel has already been added and I'm sure of morphs like the pinstripe and spider will also work. I am asking for the "out side of the box" type morphs that will add something really special (not to take anything away from other's hard work with the above morphs). What do you think would be the next greatest morph to be added to the dreamsicle?

Is it possible to add another recessive? Would any type of super kind-of Super neutralize the dreamsicle visual genes?

Thank you for any help in further education about ball python morphs.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would go with clown, a triple visual lavender clown pied would probably be pretty nice.

Axanthic is another option as well, Lavender Snow are already extremely nice so a Pied Lavender snow wood be a good option.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BriGuy31+ (08-16-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Dreamsicle additions

The triple recessive would be a very agressive project. I dont believe one has been produced to date because of the difficulty. Triple het to triple het is some very long odds. That being said, the suggested axanthic dream would be nuts. Lavender axanthics are amazing.

Id stay away from anything that usually zaps the pattern out of pieds, spieds, black pastel, ect. When you have the lavender gene present you want to flaunt it in my opinion

Id be more interested in adding codom genes so itd be a little easier. Things that combo well with both recessives. Off the top of my head im thinking enchi would be perfect. Orange dream would be nice too. Yellowbelly as well. Plus yellowbelly opens up pandoras box when you start thinking next level.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by CryHavoc17; 08-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CryHavoc17 View Post
    The triple recessive would be a very agressive project. I dont believe one has been produced to date because of the difficulty. Triple het to triple het is some very long odds. That being said, the suggested axanthic dream would be nuts. Lavender axanthics are amazing.

Id stay away from anything that usually zaps the pattern out of pieds, spieds, black pastel, ect. When you have the lavender gene present you want to flaunt it in my opinion

Id be more interested in adding codom genes so itd be a little easier. Things that combo well with both recessives. Off the top of my head im thinking enchi would be perfect. Orange dream would be nice too. Yellowbelly as well. Plus yellowbelly opens up pandoras box when you start thinking next level.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2
    Long term projects are definitely tough even double recessive are not easy but those make them even more rewarding, you can always work on Axanthic Pied and Dreamsicle and then do Dreamsicle x Axanthic Pied to hatch Pied DH Snows
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Spider and pied makes an almost all white snake (extremely high white)
    Enchi and pied makes an almost all patterned snake (very low white)
    Pinstripe and pied makes a pied with less black in the pattern and makes more of a gold color
    Fire and yellowbelly bring out more of the orange colors in pied.

Definitely go on worldofballpythons.com and look at the pied combinations and lavender albino combinations on their morph list.

Look at the pied combinations for the pattern changes you want, and look at lavender albino combinations for the color changes you want.

Depending on how you start the project, you're definitely in it for the long haul In ten years you might be able to hit the tripe recessive, so patience! If you like the hobby then that isn't a problem.
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to towelie4365 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-02-2015),wolfy-hound (08-18-2014)

Thanks

Wonderful ideas! I am a low budget first time breeder so I have more time than money to "buy my way" into some of these progressive projects. I do understand the desired outcomes of investing into the more rare projects. I have already bought a dbl. het lavender/pied male and a female visual lavender. I will have to wait until the second generation for a chance at the dreamsicle. I like the idea of trying for another double recessive morph (like the Lavender Snow) and then going from there.

Let me ask you guys a few questions to plan ahead. So my offspring from the dbl. het lavender/pied and visual lavender should produce visual lavenders with 50% het for pied.

One option would be raising the visual lavender poss. het pied a breeding them back to the dbl. het male.

Would it be better to sell/trade the offspring to obtain a visual (either pied or lavender) with 100% het for the other morph? I think removing the "possible" for my chances would be better for my goal of the dreamsicle.

Should I have bought a male pied instead of the dbl. het lavender/pied? In order to breed all sibling back to one another? All offspring would be 100% dbl het.

Thank for the help.

Thanks
    Basically, dbl het to dbl het would give me 1 in 16 odds every breeding season and would still take until the second generation to start my odds. But dbl het male to visual 50%het females would give me 1 in 8 odds (if they prove out 100% het) every breeding season so it should be the same odds, right? Only difference would be that hopefully I'd have multiple females to breed back to the male. Is this correct thinking?

Just trying to think things through considering I only had $1K to start and I'm pretty much stuck with just one pair until I can breed more livestock. I chose the dbl het male and visual lavender female and will obviously wait until the second generation to go for the dreamsicle. Do you think I made the right decision?

Thanks for the help! I'm really glad I found this site

Thanks
    I am considering backtracking a bit to start this project by making my own dbl het dreams. Here is my chance to add other genes into the mix when I buy the pied male as I already have my lavender female.

Would adding a firefly pied or pastel yellowbelly pied on this ground level be too much? Would I be "watering down" the gene pool too much? I am willing to accept the decreased odds of my dreamsicle "dreams" with the understanding of possibly of getting a four gene powerhouse (dbl recessive AND dbl codom) at some point.

I am really considering this just for fun of the hobby and I'm not concerned with resales. Although, which one of the above males would make the most sense, in terms of odds of visual offspring (for eventual sales) and visual "cool factor" to start of with?

P.s.- I have done the genetic wizard but you guys can help me better than myself looking through the list.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Dreamsicle additions

Quote Originally Posted by towelie4365 View Post
    Spider and pied makes an almost all white snake (extremely high white)
    Enchi and pied makes an almost all patterned snake (very low white)
    Pinstripe and pied makes a pied with less black in the pattern and makes more of a gold color
    Fire and yellowbelly bring out more of the orange colors in pied.

Definitely go on worldofballpythons.com and look at the pied combinations and lavender albino combinations on their morph list.

Look at the pied combinations for the pattern changes you want, and look at lavender albino combinations for the color changes you want.

Depending on how you start the project, you're definitely in it for the long haul In ten years you might be able to hit the tripe recessive, so patience! If you like the hobby then that isn't a problem.
    I am working on several recessive gene projects. And I would eventually like to work with the leopard and pied bc I have seen some of those morphs and they are smoking! As is the fire and pied as you already mentioned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy31+ View Post
    I am considering backtracking a bit to start this project by making my own dbl het dreams. Here is my chance to add other genes into the mix when I buy the pied male as I already have my lavender female.

Would adding a firefly pied or pastel yellowbelly pied on this ground level be too much? Would I be "watering down" the gene pool too much? I am willing to accept the decreased odds of my dreamsicle "dreams" with the understanding of possibly of getting a four gene powerhouse (dbl recessive AND dbl codom) at some point.

I am really considering this just for fun of the hobby and I'm not concerned with resales. Although, which one of the above males would make the most sense, in terms of odds of visual offspring (for eventual sales) and visual "cool factor" to start of with?

P.s.- I have done the genetic wizard but you guys can help me better than myself looking through the list.
    The hardest part of having a small hobbyist collection is going to be keeping it small. Really think about the direction you want to go and try to stick to it, which is going to be much more easily said than done. Personally I think I would go for a visible pied male since it takes the guesswork out of the equation down a generation or two. Gambling a whole breeding season on a male hopefully having the proper genes or throwing 3 years at a female hoping she has the right genetics isn't the path I would choose. You won't get those visible lavs your first generation, but that's the price you pay I suppose.

This is going to be your breeding project, though, and ultimately your decision. You want fire? Get a fire. Pastel? Go for it. There is no right or wrong answer for what to purchase or produce.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-02-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast