Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,568

2 members and 2,566 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Looking to buy a boa in the near future.

Hi everyone!

I dove head first into the snake scene a few months ago with a ball python and now I have 3 lol. I love them, I'm growing a snake addiction that is getting bigger everyday! A trusted local pet store that a frequently shop at sells boas and I'm really thinking that might be my next snake. I did read the FAQs sticky but I haven't seen a care sheet for these snakes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also I'm interested in a motley or a red tail, how big do those get?

Thank you!

Thanks
    I'm glad you're considering a boa... These guys have great personality and are a lot more fun to handle (IMO) than BPs. That said, the main thing to consider with them is size / weight and housing. I am new to owning boas, so I'll be as helpful as I can, but hopefully some of the pros around here will chime in too.

There are two main subspecies that you'll come across, BCI and BCC. BCC are the "true redtails" and will get a lot larger than BCI. BCC can get up to 12 feet, although I've read that 10 feet is more common. They will also get heavier than a BCI.

BCI (common boa constrictors), which are also sometimes called "redtails", although that is incorrect, stay smaller and leaner (especially males) and are the ones with the most common morphs (all the albinos, hypos, motleys, etc.). These generally stay 8 feet or smaller, with most being in the 5.5 - 7 foot range. There is a big size difference between males and females, with males staying smaller weight-wise and length wise. There are some smaller locality BCIs that will stay shorter and leaner if fed properly, but you must be careful to buy one of these from a trusted breeder to make sure you're getting what you pay for (hog island and terrahumara are examples of smaller locals).

Care is similar to a BP, but with slightly lower temps. for the hot spot and ambient (h~78 cool side and 88 warm side). Humidity requirements are about the same as a BP as well. The main differences are in feeding and housing. With a boa, you want at least a 4 x 2 x 15" (or taller) pvc cage (and that is for a male BCI ) with the larger males and female BCI and BCC, you're looking at a bigger cage (at least 6 x 2 x 18"). With regards to feeding, boas eat items the same size as them at their widest point or slightly smaller (you don't want a lump). They also eat less frequently. They are generally fed every 1.5 weeks as youngsters, then every 2 weeks, and sometimes adults eat every 3-4 weeks. You want the boa to have a "loaf of bread" shape, so if you see one that looks like a BP (round) it is being fed too much or too often.

Most people recommend purchasing a male BCI as a "first boa" because they are larger than BPs, but still remain lighter weight and easier to handle than female BCIs and a great bit lighter / smaller than BCCs. I have also read that BCCs (true redtails) can be more picky husbandry wise and more tempermental.

I really recommend this book. It has loads of info on all the different morphs, locals, and subspecies. It also has care and breeding information. Here is a care sheet for "common" or BCI boa constrictors.

Good luck!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

HVani (08-14-2014)

Thanks

Re: Looking to buy a boa in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I'm glad you're considering a boa... These guys have great personality and are a lot more fun to handle (IMO) than BPs. That said, the main thing to consider with them is size / weight and housing. I am new to owning boas, so I'll be as helpful as I can, but hopefully some of the pros around here will chime in too.

There are two main subspecies that you'll come across, BCI and BCC. BCC are the "true redtails" and will get a lot larger than BCI. BCC can get up to 12 feet, although I've read that 10 feet is more common. They will also get heavier than a BCI.

BCI (common boa constrictors), which are also sometimes called "redtails", although that is incorrect, stay smaller and leaner (especially males) and are the ones with the most common morphs (all the albinos, hypos, motleys, etc.). These generally stay 8 feet or smaller, with most being in the 5.5 - 7 foot range. There is a big size difference between males and females, with males staying smaller weight-wise and length wise. There are some smaller locality BCIs that will stay shorter and leaner if fed properly, but you must be careful to buy one of these from a trusted breeder to make sure you're getting what you pay for (hog island and terrahumara are examples of smaller locals).

Care is similar to a BP, but with slightly lower temps. for the hot spot and ambient (h~78 cool side and 88 warm side). Humidity requirements are about the same as a BP as well. The main differences are in feeding and housing. With a boa, you want at least a 4 x 2 x 15" (or taller) pvc cage (and that is for a male BCI ) with the larger males and female BCI and BCC, you're looking at a bigger cage (at least 6 x 2 x 18"). With regards to feeding, boas eat items the same size as them at their widest point or slightly smaller (you don't want a lump). They also eat less frequently. They are generally fed every 1.5 weeks as youngsters, then every 2 weeks, and sometimes adults eat every 3-4 weeks. You want the boa to have a "loaf of bread" shape, so if you see one that looks like a BP (round) it is being fed too much or too often.

Most people recommend purchasing a male BCI as a "first boa" because they are larger than BPs, but still remain lighter weight and easier to handle than female BCIs and a great bit lighter / smaller than BCCs. I have also read that BCCs (true redtails) can be more picky husbandry wise and more tempermental.

I really recommend this book. It has loads of info on all the different morphs, locals, and subspecies. It also has care and breeding information. Here is a care sheet for "common" or BCI boa constrictors.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information buddy! Now that I've been doing a lot of reading, I've decided to go ahead and buy a baby boa. I'm going to start it off in a good size plastic tub from Wal-Mart or another store like that. Slowly but surely purchase things I need for the enclouser, and get my temperatures on point so I can go buy the snake and put him right in.

I plan on getting a clear tub, that being said.....

If I were to go buy one, drill some holes for ventilation, would it be safe if I plasti-dip the sides, back, and top BEFORE I go purchase the snake? I usually put scenic clings or black construction paper on my glass set up and I just thought of this idea and it sounds good to me.

Thanks
    Never heard of plasti- dip before... Both of my boas (hypo BCI and male BCA) are still small enough to be in plastic tubs. I put black contact paper on the back and sides of the larger tub for the BCA (it's a 110 quart), but the samller tub the BCI is in has nothing around the sides and he seems to do fine.

I would suggest using a soldering iron to add some ventilation holes along the sides of the tub (I put about 5 on the long sides and 3 on the short sides) and you can add more as you go if it is too humid.

I'd also suggest using luggage straps or bulldog / binder clips to help keep the lid of the tub secure. I have used both of these and find them easy to use and they make me feel a little better in terms of the snake being secure.

I would also suggest getting a branch or pvc or something that the boa will be able to perch on both of mine climb, but especially the smaller BCI (he is a baby at about 5 months old and roughly 18" long).

One last thing about the tubs.. I am not sure how much experience you have using them, but they don't hold temps well. I am keeping mine in a warm room now, but will be moving them into a heated snake room soon. In the past I had to use a heat lamp (CHE) on a dimmer switch, suspended about 12" above the tub on a lamp stand to get the correct ambient temp.
    For the UTH, I use an ultratherm heat pad (these are sold by reptilebasics and won't melt your tub) on a thermostat for the hot spot.

I'm not sure how knowledgable you consider your reptile shop, but if you are not sure about their snake-sexing abilities, you might want to get a boa from a reptile show or breeder who can reliably sex it. With the females getting so much larger, it would really be worth it to make sure you are buying a male if you want a boa that will stay smaller.

Also, do some research on IBD (inclusion body disease) this is a common issue with boas, especially those that might have been around a lot of snakes (and therefore, at more risk to being exposed to it). I highly suggest quarantining any new snake you get, but IBD can lay dormant for a long time before showing symptoms.

I'll also add one more note. Be aware that boas, like BPs, change in color as they age. They get increasing brown pigment, so they won't stay as bright and light as the babies you've seen. Check out adult pics of the morphs you're interested in and if you want a lighter boa (as an adult) buy the lightest, cleanest baby you can find.. Albinos will also loose most of their pattern / contrast as they age. If you want a specific look, again, it may pay to find a good breeder so you can see pics of the parents.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    You've gotten pretty good info so far. If you are planning on buying a boa constrictor hold off just a bit and look at some quality, online breeders. I highly recommend Legacy Reptiles. The owner is a veterinarian, and the other owner is well versed in snake keeping. Legacy acquired most of Gus Rentfro's locality stock. You will be thrilled with a Colombian BCI from them.

If you are not planning on breeding, you will find a nice male BCI can attain a rather large size. The males used for breeding, and that experience the scents of female boas will behave differently than males that are raised as pets. I can go into all the reasons, but that isn't the point here.

Overall husbandry, and hardiness of the BCI VS MOST BCC is better for first time BC keepers. There are also the Argentine boas and the "Short tailed boas (BCA).

Check around a bit on line before you buy anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    You've gotten pretty good info so far. If you are planning on buying a boa constrictor hold off just a bit and look at some quality, online breeders. I highly recommend Legacy Reptiles. The owner is a veterinarian, and the other owner is well versed in snake keeping. Legacy acquired most of Gus Rentfro's locality stock. You will be thrilled with a Colombian BCI from them.

If you are not planning on breeding, you will find a nice male BCI can attain a rather large size. The males used for breeding, and that experience the scents of female boas will behave differently than males that are raised as pets. I can go into all the reasons, but that isn't the point here.

Overall husbandry, and hardiness of the BCI VS MOST BCC is better for first time BC keepers. There are also the Argentine boas and the "Short tailed boas (BCA).

Check around a bit on line before you buy anything.

I checked the website you referred me to and they dont have anything for sale. There is a reptile show coming up on the 7th of september that I will be attending. But the reptile shop that I shop at is trusted for sure. It's basically a "mom and pop" store and the owner really knows his stuff. He has sexed all my pythons, and has a giant collection of his own. So I'm probably going to buy from them. The owner has me bring my snakes to him so he can check on them every so often and has been extremely helpful to me.

The boa will be quarantined though for sure, He will be in the living room of my apartment while my 3 ball pythons are in my room.

Thanks

Almost half way there. Drilled holes for ventilation. (Trust me, there's enough. You just can't tell.) Plasti-dipped the sides, bottom, and the back. I'm getting a mesh plate that you will find on vision cages and cutting a spot on the top and going to install it so I can put a florescent light fixture with a bulb ( for lighting purposes and a little extra ventilation ) zip tie the top to the back of the tub so that I can open it and close it. I have hitch pins and a lock to secure the top.

May seem confusing, but when I'm done you'll see the final product.

I plasti dipped it to give it the ap cage look, it's mainly for looks honestly lol. I like it. And I only did it on the outside so my snake won't come in contact with it. Once I go purchase my boa it will be fine

So far this has cost me 30 bucks. And I'll have the snake in here for a couple of years, so may as well make it look nice

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy757 View Post
    I checked the website you referred me to and they dont have anything for sale. There is a reptile show coming up on the 7th of september that I will be attending. But the reptile shop that I shop at is trusted for sure. It's basically a "mom and pop" store and the owner really knows his stuff. He has sexed all my pythons, and has a giant collection of his own. So I'm probably going to buy from them. The owner has me bring my snakes to him so he can check on them every so often and has been extremely helpful to me.

The boa will be quarantined though for sure, He will be in the living room of my apartment while my 3 ball pythons are in my room.
    OK,

They are more active on Facebook, but go with what you feel is best. It will all work out.

Thanks
    I hate facebook. If I had more energy I would invent something that didn't suck as bad. Nice looking enclosure. I can see concern of ventilation, I'd test it out before hand. I have a hard time getting any of mine below 65 percent most the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    I hate facebook. If I had more energy I would invent something that didn't suck as bad. Nice looking enclosure. I can see concern of ventilation, I'd test it out before hand. I have a hard time getting any of mine below 65 percent most the time.

I don't even have Facebook.

I simply e-mailed them and scored what I feel is a really fricking nice boa.

Facebook ruins these chat boards. I see it all over.

Enclosure pictured is doable, but if you can save a few dollars I'd recommend a nice display cage with some vertical. Boas WILL climb and its good for them too.

The bottom cage pictured here houses a 5 foot BC it's 48" x 30" x 20".

If you are just going with one boa, enjoy it to the fullest!

Obviously if you buy a baby, this is not something you'd go with right now.
    Last edited by Gio; 08-17-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast