Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,555

1 members and 2,554 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Snake Rack Pricing Inquiry

Hi all, my name is Jim and I have a concern I was hoping some of you generous and helpful people could address for me. As most of you, I am very find of snakes and specifically ball pythons. I got my first a few years back and since then I've steadily owned anywhere between 6-10 at any given time. My first baby was a normal but since then I've tried to only "collect" the more designer specimens. Right now I alternative my snakes between several sized glass tanks, all with their own heating and foggers, but I'm looking to upgrade to a more professional setup. Having 10+ glass tanks all set up in several different places is simply unattractive to me and makes taking care of them more difficult than it has to be. I've done a lot of research into snake racks and the traditional ones with tubs don't sit right with me ALTHOUGH they would definitely be a cost effective way to house my snakes in size appropriate containers. I'm no breeder or seller, and I don't want my snakes to call home what is essentially a pimped out drawer for the entirety of their lives. I'm really fond of stackable tanks though, such as NPI Cages and Vision Racks, among others. Something like these would definitely prove useful to me as they sit nice and allow me to still have my snakes on display and out for everyone to see. However all of the ones that are commercially produced seem to cost more than a pretty penny. So my question is, from all of your wisdom/knowledge/experience what would be my best choice in terms of commercially produced stackable habitats. Each habitat would have to essentially be able to allow an adult ball python to live within it comfortably. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thanks

Re: Snake Rack Pricing Inquiry

I know you said racks, but when you mentioned stackable tanks my first thought goes to the Animal Plastics T8 cages. Those are quick ship items snd should arrive within 10 days. They're lightweight and stackable and I've been itching to get one. However, they can be pricey.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndymei View Post
    I know you said racks, but when you mentioned stackable tanks my first thought goes to the Animal Plastics T8 cages. Those are quick ship items snd should arrive within 10 days. They're lightweight and stackable and I've been itching to get one. However, they can be pricey.
    I jus took a quick look at them, and they're almost on point with what I'm looking for. They're a lot similar to the Vision cages and NPI cages. They all stack nice and allow adequate space for snakes of all sizes with a display too. They're on sale for $150 each at the moment but after shipping charges it rounds out to about $200. $200, give or take, is the price of similar types of units by other companies. Problem is when you're a college student $1200 for 6 or so of these is a lot to dish out at once. I've spent much more on my snakes but I acquired them over a period of 4-5 years.

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean. It's definitely a lot and I'm a student too. Perhaps you may be able to build your own racks, but with nice plastic that you can see your animals through. I'm sorry I couldn't help out more!
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks
    I think the most economical route would be to look through kingsnake for used cages. I have seen tons of vision cages on there. One guy has some 3 footers up there now. 4 for 300 dollars so shop around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndymei View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. It's definitely a lot and I'm a student too. Perhaps you may be able to build your own racks, but with nice plastic that you can see your animals through. I'm sorry I couldn't help out more!
    I'm definitely going to look into that. Honestly, with the shelving included I could easily build my own rack of 4 51qt containers for under $100. Which would house 4 of my adult ball pythons. I would just have to work out the heating but I'm sure there are plenty of guides out there. I definitely appreciate your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    I think the most economical route would be to look through kingsnake for used cages. I have seen tons of vision cages on there. One guy has some 3 footers up there now. 4 for 300 dollars so shop around.
    Sounds good! I'm going to take a look around there now. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks

With Animal Plastic cages, you can always use their dviders and split them into two depending onn how big your BPs are. That way, it will cut the expense in half. I also agree with ElliotNess. Check out Fauna Classified and this forum's for sale thread and post a WTB post. Maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck!
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)