Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

1 members and 2,986 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Shed!

Thanks

Shed!

I have heard balls were problem shedders, but my girl had an awful shed. I'm soaking her to get it loosened up, but any tips to help this not be such an issue?
    I slightly increased the humidity before and during the shed, but no other husbandry changes.

Thanks

Re: Shed!

What exactly was the humidity before and during the shed?
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks

A big thing that people sometimes neglect is putting something rough in the cage for the snake to rub the loose shed off. They may be still able to remove the shed but it really helps them.

The moment your snake becomes really shy and starts getting a pink belly is when you'd want to increase the humidity. Certainly before their eyes get cloudy.
    Maybe consider getting a water dish big enough for your snake to soak in on its own.
    Last edited by nachash; 07-15-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nachash For This Useful Post:

ispitroseas (07-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Balls are not problem shedders. All snakes will shed wonderfully when their husbandry is correct. Poor sheds is a sign of incorrect husbandry.

As for tips. I say use the search feature. This is a common thread and you can find tons of ideas on how to improve your husbandry.

For specific ideas a picture or at least a detailed description of your setup would help. Without knowing what your using and what you have we would be shooting into the dark.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ispitroseas (07-15-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nachash View Post
    A big thing that people sometimes neglect is putting something rough in the cage for the snake to rub the loose shed off. They may be still able to remove the shed but it really helps them.

The moment your snake becomes really shy and starts getting a pink belly is when you'd want to increase the humidity. Certainly before their eyes get cloudy.
    Maybe consider getting a water dish big enough for your snake to soak in on its own.

I dont have anything rough... Some of my snakes dont even use hides anymore in my ARS rack only object would be the smooth builtin water dish holder... All it needs is a mist once a day and your shed will be good, Put her in a damp pillow case and shell get alot off.. And next shed offer a damp hide (with spagnum moss) OR just mist him/her before you go to bed

Thanks

I got it off of her easily with a soak. What I'm thinking is an issue is her viv. It has a lot of ventilation that I covered up with plastic wrap, but I'm thinking of switching to a tub. My others are in one and don't have this issue whereas I'm fighting with her enclosure to keep the humidity stable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndymei View Post
    What exactly was the humidity before and during the shed?
    I keep her at 55 but it dips to 😤40 if I don't constantly fret over it. When I noticed her belly changing color I took it up to 60/65. I definitely am thinking it's her viv.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nachash View Post

Well she has a big dog food dish as her water source, a big hollowed out rock as one hide, half log for another and lots of moss. I saw her rubbing everywhere yesterday and thought she would get it herself. This morning, only her eyes were shed! After the soak she only has a very little bit left on her head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Balls are not problem shedders. All snakes will shed wonderfully when their husbandry is correct. Poor sheds is a sign of incorrect husbandry.

As for tips. I say use the search feature. This is a common thread and you can find tons of ideas on how to improve your husbandry.

For specific ideas a picture or at least a detailed description of your setup would help. Without knowing what your using and what you have we would be shooting into the dark.
    Thanks. I searched through the site and I think her viv is not keeping the humidity stable enough

Thanks

As much as I love glass vivs they can be a pain. So far what has helped me has been using eco earth as a substrate. It holds humidity around 60-80% if not higher depending on how saturated it is. When it is lightly damp it holds my humidity around 60%+ and so far it has been working wonderfully. This is in a 40 gallon breeder too with a screen top and no covering while I work on making a plexiglass cover for the screen.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie