Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,265

3 members and 1,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Buying a Mature Ball Python versus a young one

Hi i am not extremely new to snakes but I am new to Ball Pythons and I was going to buy one that is mature; five or six years old, is this a horrible idea or is it fine and will it be able to adjust to a new owner after all those years?

Thanks
    I'm sure it would be fine. I was about to buy a mature snake at that age, but it didn't turn out to be the right temperament for me. As long as the snake pleases you, I say go for it. Have you handled it before?
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    It is perfectly fine. Just make sure you do your due diligence and try and learn as much as you can about the snake you're considering. You don't want to end up getting a good deal on someone else's problems (unless you're prepared to do some "rescue work").

Beyond that, all that's left for you is to provide the proper home that it needs to thrive. In spite of what many people think, each species of snake needs to be cared for in a specific way (temperatures, humidity, feeding, etc). This site is a good place to learn what those things are. As long as you know what these care requirements are for your new ball python ahead of time, and you are prepared to do those things, you shouldn't have any issues.

Welcome to the site!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts
    It should be fine. We took in an adult last year whose owner was going to college and couldn't take it, and his parents didn't want to deal with it. She adjusted quickly to her new home.

Thanks
    I just bought a six yr old male, and he is fine. Of course I trusted the guy I got him from. I knew he would tell me if the animal had issues. One thing I like about older snakes is they generally are past the nippy stage like young ones can be..good luck with your snake

Thanks
    buying a mature snake for a pet is very practical compared to buying a young snake. if you buy small, you will have to set up a new enclosure that's appropriate for every stage of it's growth.
    1.0 pied
    0.1 spider het pied
    0.1 normal het pied
    1.0 pinstripe het albino
    0.1 albino
    0.3 normal het albino
    1.2 cinnamon
    0.1 lesser
    0.1 bumblebee
    0.1 pastel
    0.2 normal

Thanks
    the young ones are often nippy and defensive, and what they have going for them is the potential to change.

most of the old ones are calm and docile and good with people, especially the ones that grew up as pets and that did have lots of human interaction. there are a few agressive adults and they are hard to tame, but they are rare.

the problem i see is that people like hatchlings because they like to see them grow, pet stores only sell hatchlings, but BPs have a high life expectancy of around 20 years. more people should take the older ones.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0