Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,953

4 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Is It Possible To Make a Profit in 4 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by BPavery View Post
    What about banana? Is it possible to make a profit on breeding them. They are a good price, but still new and in high demand.

You also have to look at trends..................... whats hot this season might not be next season.
    There are too many variables.
    You best bet just like everyone else is to start out with a 1.2 or 1.3 and see if you can handle that first.
    Breed something you like and want because you just might get stuck with them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You also have to look at trends..................... whats hot this season might not be next season.
    There are too many variables.
    You best bet just like everyone else is to start out with a 1.2 or 1.3 and see if you can handle that first.
    Breed something you like and want because you just might get stuck with them.
    I'll probably do that. That way I can get some experience and see if I really like doing it. Then if I do like it, I can breed on a larger scale later on. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You will need know the market you are investing in, this also means you will need to make a sizeable investment. Low end single gene females and low end two gene males will not cut it.

I starting making a profit by year 3 so it is possible.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-12-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (07-15-2014),BPavery (07-15-2014),OctagonGecko729 (07-12-2014)

Thanks

I don't see why you couldn't. I feel like if you buy 1.1 visual pieds for around 1,200 then you will get 100% pied babies and you would at least be able to break even with your first clutch.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryant493 For This Useful Post:

Black Hills Reptiles (03-02-2015),BPavery (07-15-2014)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant493 View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't. I feel like if you buy 1.1 visual pieds for around 1,200 then you will get 100% pied babies and you would at least be able to break even with your first clutch.
    You wont get an adult female and male for that price.
    you are still looking at two to three years to grow out and be ready to breed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

You wont get an adult female and male for that price.
    you are still looking at two to three years to grow out and be ready to breed.
    ^this^

Or it could take 5 or 6 years before the female lays a clutch, the first clutch could be all slugs, or you could have 2 or 3 eggs (all males).

A little example here my female pied produced her first clutch at 4 years of age, 5 slugs, 1 good egg.

People thinking putting one snake with another = $$$ in the bank need to think again those are animals and things can happen, if it was that easy and always working out the way people want to, a lot more people would make a profit, instead a lot of people think they can and then 2 or 3 years later when they don't because not everything always go as planned they will sell off their entire collection (tons of ads like those online)

Again it is possible but the majority of people are in the red for a few years before even breaking even let alone make a profit.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-15-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    ^this^

Or it could take 5 or 6 years before the female lays a clutch, the first clutch could be all slugs, or you could have 2 or 3 eggs (all males).

A little example here my female pied produced her first clutch at 4 years of age, 5 slugs, 1 good egg.

People thinking putting one snake with another = $$$ in the bank need to think again those are animals and things can happen, if it was that easy and always working out the way people want to, a lot more people would make a profit, instead a lot of people think they can and then 2 or 3 years later when they don't because not everything always go as planned they will sell off their entire collection (tons of ads like those online)

Again it is possible but the majority of people are in the red for a few years before even breaking even let alone make a profit.
    Well yes, this was assuming everything went fine. He is just asking if it is possible and it is BUT everything would have to go perfect like you said.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryant493 For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014)

Thanks

No
    This is the most honest answer yet.
    lmao!!!
    A small percentage might but most don't ever see a profit
    because by the four year mark their gone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to brock lesser For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014)

Registered User CapeFearConstrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

I started investing heavily in 2011. I'm still in the red but expect by the end of 2015 to be in the black by a decent amount.

It's not easy. Right now I'm spending about 15-20 hours a week taking care of 200 animals. Juggling a full time job and a family along with the snakes is exhausting but working with the animals is so rewarding that it's worth it. Don't get into this thinking it's easy money. A few get lucky but most of us have to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears and years to make our businesses successful.
    Josh
    Cape Fear Constrictors
    http://capefearconstrictors.com | Facebook | YouTube

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CapeFearConstrictors For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014),JMinILM (11-10-2014),Stewart_Reptiles (07-15-2014),Zach Cedor (07-15-2014)

Thanks
    I kick my self in the a** for buying a stupid cafe when I had tons of money. I look at the collection I could have put together and it just blows my mind. Maybe it happened for a reason and I'll respect it more for starting so slow at a reptile breeding business. I'm miserable making soups, cup cakes, scones, and paninis all day and then I come home and get to work with the animals which is actually fun for me. I have no clue how you manage several hundred by yourself on top of everything else! It is not easy to make sure they all eat and drink, document it all, check weights, clean cages, do research for anything that pops up. It's non stop even for me and I'm not even a fraction of where you are. I'm not there yet as far as having a breeding business in place but I will eventually no doubt in my mind. If you don't love putting in all the work, time and effort then you will be miserable and in this business the animals are the ones who suffer the most in that situation.

Any one want to buy a cafe in oregon???

19. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

BPavery (07-15-2014)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast