Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

4 members and 3,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is It Possible To Make a Profit in 4 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You would then be producing base morphs that everyone already produces as fallout to trying to produce multigenes.
    This also doesn't include the vast amounts of normal you would produce and take a loss on.
    That's true. I don't want to saturate the base morph market even more. It would be great to breed a new morph like bamboo, but I don't have the money for more expensive morphs right now. That's why I made the thread about breeding other species that are just starting to become more popular. I could buy some cheaper snakes that produce more hatchlings that are popular enough to sell, but not in an over-saturated market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    On top of this... If you breed and sell morphs you can get away with selling very common morphs like the bumble bee that are not high quality at all locally if your market can handle 200-300 dollar price tags. Trying to sell a more rare morph you will be selling to a different audience and they will actually care about quality so assume you did buy quality to start with... after calculating for SOME of the variables you still would not come close to a profit but you would get some nice cash flow back from your hobby.
    Cash flow is something I don't want because I would still be slowly losing money. But you're right, it would be better than nothing because it is just a hobby. There's not many hobbies that give you cash flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Biz Year 1: Buy females and their racks, "stuff" (hides, water bowls, feeding tongs, thermometer, etc) and "consumables" (feeders, paper towels, F10, mite sprays, etc). Show loss.
    Biz Year 2: Buy males and their rack, their "stuff", and consumables. Show loss.
    Biz Year 3: Buy/build incubator and hatchling rack, consumables, and replacement "stuff" if something breaks. Show loss.
    Biz Year 4: IN THEORY you could show a profit if the sale of babies > expense of consumables, assuming 1) you don't buy more "stuff", and 2) you don't have any vet bills. It is very unlikely that the sales you make this year will offset the losses from year 1 through year 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Biz Year 1: Buy females and their racks, "stuff" (hides, water bowls, feeding tongs, thermometer, etc) and "consumables" (feeders, paper towels, F10, mite sprays, etc). Show loss.
    Biz Year 2: Buy males and their rack, their "stuff", and consumables. Show loss.
    Biz Year 3: Buy/build incubator and hatchling rack, consumables, and replacement "stuff" if something breaks. Show loss.
    Biz Year 4: IN THEORY you could show a profit if the sale of babies > expense of consumables, assuming 1) you don't buy more "stuff", and 2) you don't have any vet bills. It is very unlikely that the sales you make this year will offset the losses from year 1 through year 4.
    This is very helpful. I'm starting to realize the HUGE amount of costs in Ball Python breeding. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    FWIW I run a small business with my husband. I would never turn my snake breeding hobby into a real business, or I would grow to hate it. Not the breeding part, but the dealing with the business part. So, I make sure that I can show that my expenses are always more than my income, even if only by a dollar each year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (07-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    FWIW I run a small business with my husband. I would never turn my snake breeding hobby into a real business, or I would grow to hate it. Not the breeding part, but the dealing with the business part. So, I make sure that I can show that my expenses are always more than my income, even if only by a dollar each year.
    Sounds like I need to start buying snakes from you in December.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    If you look at any hobby in hopes to make money, it is no longer a hobby. You have to be in it for the love of it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

elbee (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Sounds like I need to start buying snakes from you in December.
    It's a "Never Going Into Business" Sale
    Thomas Steele
    2.0 Normal (Columbus, Magellan)
    1.1 Het Ultramel (Francis and Claire)
    1.1 Pastel Lesser (Lucy and Ricky)
    0.1 Pewter Bee (Ariana)
    0.1 Fire (Ember)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Savannah)
    1.1 Pastel Pied (Sandy and Danny)
    1.0 Super Stripe pos. Mocha (Romeo)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Steele For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-12-2014)

Thanks
    Yes you can make money in less then four years? In fact you could do it in two seasons. You'd need to get into a new mutation when it's sitting around 40-50k. You would need to have an ultrasound and know how to use it. A backup male in the 20k range. 40 females or so. Innate breeding of ball python knowledge. The reason why you'd fail wouldn't be due to the market but due to a lack of experience and investment ability. Big name breeders can start with brand new projects and kill it big with 5-10x ROI in one season. But they have years of experience and the ability to time their investments correctly.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OctagonGecko729 For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-19-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OctagonGecko729 View Post
    Yes you can make money in less then four years? In fact you could do it in two seasons. You'd need to get into a new mutation when it's sitting around 40-50k. You would need to have an ultrasound and know how to use it. A backup male in the 20k range. 40 females or so. Innate breeding of ball python knowledge. The reason why you'd fail wouldn't be due to the market but due to a lack of experience and investment ability. Big name breeders can start with brand new projects and kill it big with 5-10x ROI in one season. But they have years of experience and the ability to time their investments correctly.
    What about banana? Is it possible to make a profit on breeding them. They are a good price, but still new and in high demand.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast